Thread: ESPixelStick version confusion...

Post Thanks / Like

Default ESPixelStick version confusion...

I'm likely behind the times, but...

What exactly does V3 or V4 version number refer to? The main board (pixel driver) hardware or the firmware version that could be loaded into the top module, or some mixture of the two? And how does the matter of ESP32 vs ESP8266 figure into this?
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ESPixelStick version confusion...

V3 refers to a product that Shelby sells on Amazon etc. It is an ESP8266 + base card implementation and comes with V3 software.

V4 is a restructuring of the ESPixelStick Software that is backwards compatible with the V3 hardware (ESP8266 + Base card) and uses more of the capabilities of the V3 base card.

V4 adds more pixel protocols on the V3 hardware.

V4 supports the ESP32 based D1 Mini cards that plug into the V3 base card. This increases the number of pixels that the V3 hardware can drive.

V4 adds support for OTHER DIY hardware base cards (look at Quinled as an example) that increases the number of ports (max eleven) with support for SPI based pixels (WS2801 etc.)

V4 adds support for Ethernet for base cards that have that built in.

Hope this helps.

Martin

2022 - Not sure yet. At least two new songs.
    2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/MartinMueller2003

Post Thanks / Like

Point 4 extended explanation: V4 on Esp32 (D1 format boards) will also run multi pins. which is what I have done on a couple of mine.
    Also V4 has SD card support.

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a page (or pages) that explains all of this, both the ESPixelStick based controllers/software, the various other controllers, and various sequencing software anywhere? I haven't seen anything (which is why I asked the question originally), but then I might be missint it because I haven't spent any time of the DIYChristmas.org site nor the Aus sites.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

There is an explanation of the FPP Remote mode functionality at https://github.com/forkineye/ESPixel...ts-and-Outputs which is a link found in the readme.

I just re-read that section and it fails to mention that the fseq file needs to be "Sparse"

2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.

Post Thanks / Like

I was looking for something more like a Starters Guide.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

nope. have not seen anything like that.

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest just buying a ESP8266 D1 Mini, load the Pixelstick software on it, get some 5V pixels or strip (just a short run) and run the whole thing off a cell phone charger.
    That's what I did and learnt heaps.

The ESP8266 boards are really cheap.

Now I run multiple d1 mini cards both ESP8266 and ESP32 variants all with SDcard boards attached.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by townshend lights View Post
    I would suggest just buying a ESP8266 D1 Mini, load the Pixelstick software on it, get some 5V pixels or strip (just a short run) and run the whole thing off a cell phone charger.
    That's what I did and learnt heaps.

The ESP8266 boards are really cheap.

Now I run multiple d1 mini cards both ESP8266 and ESP32 variants all with SDcard boards attached.
    I've already done most of that, I've got ESP8266-01, Wemos mini and some ESP32 boards and I also have pixels, connectors, power-supplies, etc. The question is not for me, but for the hobby and getting newbies up to speed quicker.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome. Thinking about the whole hobby and helping other. I like it.