Thread: Need to Buy

Post Thanks / Like

Question Need to Buy

Was not sure where to ask this question so here it is.

I need screws and nuts for the voltage regulators that lay flat on the PCB boards. Renard Plus instructions say a 4-40 bolt, #4
    lock-washer, and 4-40 nut. I have searched other places and have not found anything more. Maybe I'm doing it wrong LOL.

So what do you use to bolt the voltage regs to the board, what size, length and where do you get them? or do you not screw them down?

I have used various sizes from a stash I had but I have used my stash up and need to get more.
    Just thought I'd ask what Y'all use. I have lots of thermal past by the way. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need to Buy

The size is "4-40" the length is what is not specified. Here is an amazon link to an Assortment of lengths:
    https://www.amazon.com/HVAZI-Stainle...ps%2C59&sr=8-2

2022 - Not sure yet. At least two new songs.
    2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/MartinMueller2003

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    The size is "4-40" the length is what is not specified. Here is an amazon link to an Assortment of lengths:
    https://www.amazon.com/HVAZI-Stainle...ps%2C59&sr=8-2
    I guess I misspoke. I have plenty of assorted sizes, just not the short ones with matching nuts.
    20220625_100429.jpg
    What size do you use?
    Would a 6-32 or 8-32 by 1/4 inch work just as well?
    I'm going to town later today for a IBEW Apprenticeship Graduation and could pick-up some on the way home. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

A #6 or #8 would be too thick to go through the hole. I just sent the assortment as a sample. I would purchase some 1/4 and some 1/2 inch lengths. It all depends on how much space is behind the part.

2022 - Not sure yet. At least two new songs.
    2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/MartinMueller2003

Post Thanks / Like

I now have a lifetime supply! 1/4 inch long work just fine.

20220702_182514.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

One place to check would be ACE Hardware, although being independently owned some stores might not have some of the smaller diameter sizes.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by P. Short View Post
    One place to check would be ACE Hardware, although being independently owned some stores might not have some of the smaller diameter sizes.
    Also True Value Stores

Both stores have a special fastener section of hardware.

I use that section a lot of times.
    Inventor of the "LED Keeper"

My Videos [URL="http://www.vimeo.com/Dennischerry"]www.vimeo.com/Dennischerry[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by P. Short View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Cherry View Post
    Also True Value Stores

Both stores have a special fastener section of hardware.

I use that section a lot of times.
    Ace Use to be my go-to back in the day. Growing up in Brunswick Ga. we had a neighborhood store about a mile down the road, Most of those Ace stores closed eventually.
    They always had the odd-ball screw or the pvc fitting I needed for whatever my project was. We do have a couple of stores in Savannah still.
    The Owner of the store in Brunswick was always Johnny on the spot to help. He looked Like Santa Clause with a Red Beard, LOL. Always a "Hello, What can I help you with?"
    Tell him what... and he would walk you to it, ask questions about what your working on, what the part came off of.......... a genuine attempt to help and get you just what you came for.

True Value are less known and harder to find but we have one of those around also. Both are great Independently owned stores that I should support more that what I do. Thanks for the reminder.