Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ESPixelStick V3 or v4 need help

Post Thanks / Like

Default ESPixelStick V3 or v4 need help

Still new at this and need help.
    I was reading another thread, and someone said that you can run 3K pixels with the espixelstick with v4. They also said that you can upload from vixen to run a sketch free standing. anyone know if that can be done. I have a matrix of ws 2811 that is 20 pixels x 50 pixels that I want to use as a tune in sign with some other effects. Can I do this with one pixelstick. I read that I could only run 680 pixels

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ESPixelStick V3 or v4 need help

The number 680 is the practicle max number of pixels on a single port if your target refresh rate is 25ms (aka real time motion). This goes up to 1300 pixels if you are ok with a 50ms refresh rate (a very common rate used in many shows). If you go to 100ms refresh rate then you can have 2600 ws2811 pixels on a single port.

V3 & V4 will auto adjust the refresh rate based on the number of pixels configured. The ESP8266 version can only support a single port with a max pixel count of 1200. Using the same base card with an ESP32 D1 Mini processor board results in up to 3000 pixels on the base cards single port.

The ESP32 processor card can actually drive up to 10 output ports and relay outputs and an external 16 port PWM LED driver for dumb led strings.

Both the ESP8266 and ESP32 V4 versions support the SD Card present on the V3 base card. V3 software does NOT support the SD card. V4 allows you to put .fseq files on the sd card and play them in a loop. The software can also run a playlist that mixes .fseq files and built in effects into a repeating presentation.

I should mention that Vixen and xLights both output .fseq files that the V4 software can play. If you change the configuration via the UI and the pixelstick becomes a part of a bigger show.
    Last edited by MartinMueller2003; 06-08-2022 at 08:24 PM.

2022 - Not sure yet. At least two new songs.
    2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/MartinMueller2003

Post Thanks / Like

Let see if I have this right, if I buy an espixelstick and load v4 and put a ESP32 D1 Mini processor board on it. I can run my 1000 pixels on one port. Then load .fseq files to run on a loop. One more question. What is the process to add the ESP32 D1 Mini processor board? Is it a plug and play type setup?

Post Thanks / Like

to do your 1k pixels you just buy the v3 hardware which includes an esp8266 processor board. load v4 software and you are good to go. You only need an ESP32 if you are on custom hardware or want more than 1200 pixels.

2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.

Post Thanks / Like

That will work, great
    Thanks for all your help

Post Thanks / Like

Note: You can't run stand-alone playing .fseq files on just any ESP32 board - you need one with a TF/SD card reader. You can get them built-in (search Lolin ESP32 Pro, or the ESP32 CAM boards that come with an add-on SD reader daughter card) or you can buy a card reader separately and solder in (I have not done that, so I don't know which ones work).

Post Thanks / Like

Using the V4 software on either the ESP8299 or ESP32 with the memory cards, can you put the ESP's in Remote mode in XLights?
    Inventor of the "LED Keeper"

My Videos [URL="http://www.vimeo.com/Dennischerry"]www.vimeo.com/Dennischerry[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

not sure what you mean. xLights does not confure remote mode on the esp. you will need to turn it on via the esp ui. xlights will upload the fseq files to the esp so that the esp can play them in remote mode. remote mode means the fseq files are played in sync with messages coming from xlights or an fpp. this is differnt than having the esp independently playing the fseq files in a loop or via an esp playlist. xlights can still upload the independent fseq files.

Post Thanks / Like

Clarification: Can you make the V4 firmware just play a sequence on powerup? Much like the test modes do? This would be using a artstick that has a SD card on the board.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Utimgr View Post
    Clarification: Can you make the V4 firmware just play a sequence on powerup? Much like the test modes do? This would be using a artstick that has a SD card on the board.
    Yes. In reality you can play a single sequence or a Playlist which it would play until E1.31 data starts to arrive.

A playlist is a set of actions (instructions) that tells the esp play foo for n seconds, now play effect y for w seconds, now play sequence bar for z seconds and on. It has a max of 100 actions. Each action has its own duration value. An action can play any fseq file or trigger any built in effect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast