Thread: Type of cat6 cable

Post Thanks / Like

Default Type of cat6 cable

Hi,

I'm building my system for this year and wanted some advice. Do I need exterior grade cat6 for the cable to connect my smart receivers to my controller board or can I use the standard cat6 cable. I'm not sure if the exterior grade cable is overkill. The cable will only be used for Christmas and will be in yard and on the roof. Thanks for nay experienced advice.

David

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Type of cat6 cable

Are you in an area that gets snow? If so, it may be buried under the snow for a lot longer than just the Christmas season, especially if you get freezing rain immediately followed by snow.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Whichever you decide upon, make sure it is STRANDED wire, not solid, and 100% Copper, not CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum). Stranded wire is more flexible and is better for being handled year after year. Copper wire has much better conductivity than CCA.
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2019 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2020 - Emergency Conversion to Falcon F48 with limited wireless
    2021 - 10 RHL Simple Pi Pixel Controllers - 1 Master with 9 Remotes

Post Thanks / Like

Im in Texas. So it's the sun that is the killer here. Some Christmas's it can be in the 50 and 60 for some of the week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drounds67 View Post
    Im in Texas. So it's the sun that is the killer here. Some Christmas's it can be in the 50 and 60 for some of the week.
    Our weather is similar here is SE Georgia. I use stranded copper cat5 or cat6. I have Green color that matches my power extention cords. It is very visible on brown or dead grass but who says that's a bad thing. I personally don't care about the outer jackets protection as long as it's flexible I'm good. Only out for about 6 weeks.
    I watch for sales here.
    Last edited by rayhjr; 05-17-2022 at 10:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drounds67 View Post
    Is that ABOVE zero? LOL!!!

Lucky you! Up here we can get wind chills down to -50F in mid-winter and regular (no-wind) temps easily down to -35. It's why cat5 (or cat6) just doesn't work for me and why I'm 100% wireless. I've found that cat5 wire gets too cold to bend and can actually break and the plastic connector clips often just break off, leaving no way to keep the cable in a jack. I tried replacing a cat5 plug once at night when it was -25F; when I clamped it down on the wire, it shattered.

http://digwdf.org/store/
    Even though the DIGWDF Store has been closed for almost three years, it's still awesome!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

that is crazy.