Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pixels in REAL Trees?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pixels in REAL Trees?

This has been discussed before.

From my point of view, there is one over-riding consideration. How much do the real trees move?
    Pixel strings don't have lines that continue past the pixel and provide some support to the string such as you find on a lot of AC strings. Most pixels have all three lines (4 if you are using either clock or a bypass type of string) entering each pixel and then soldered to the PC board inside the pixel. The solder joint is usually a touch joint, with no physical hold such as a through-hole connection. Therefore, it may be necessary to provide a strong cable keeping the pixels from getting pulled and the wires going into and out of each one getting disconnected.

We use a coated aircraft style cable to tie-wrap the pixel strings to. The cable provides strength when the tree starts to wave in the breeze, and the power/data wires don't take any of the strain.

The methods of assigning pixels in the sequencer mentioned above work very well.
    Once again, this concern is in the movement of the live tree and its effect on the pixel wiring.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Aircraft cable. That is brilliant. Since every inch of my pixel strings has CAT 5 cable running parallel to bring the signal and power back to the next branch, and the strings are taped to the CAT 5 cable with electrical tape, so far I have found that is sufficient added strength. Since I use landscape twine to tie to the branch, in a really high wind, the ties break before the pixel strings. On a really big tree, I think I will supplement with the aircraft cable. I do have to inspect and re-tie some cables after a really hard wind, but not too much. The worst is when there is a really high wind and it is really cold, because the cables do contract in the cold. Electrical tape is flexible, and I don't tie the twine very tight so the strings can flex easily.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a picture of a tree lit up during the daytime.

Tree in daylight.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a video so you can hopefully see the pixel trees in action. Several of the trees are dumb LEDs, they are pretty obvious.

https://youtu.be/rVy5aAcYwoA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by derfnivrag View Post
    Here is a video so you can hopefully see the pixel trees in action. Several of the trees are dumb LEDs, they are pretty obvious.

Sorry, but I have to ask, who is the artist for that version of Rise Up Shepard and Follow?
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2019 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2020 - Emergency Conversion to Falcon F48 with limited wireless
    2021 - 10 RHL Simple Pi Pixel Controllers - 1 Master with 9 Remotes

Post Thanks / Like

Cherish the Ladies. They are from Ireland.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by derfnivrag View Post

I'd like to amend my recommendation.
    If your trees are going to be traced per each branch, as the majority of those in the video are, then the need to steady the wire with a cable isn't quite as acute. If, however, you are covering a tree such as the big one behind the second from right in the video, then your better bet is to make sure that some sort of support (such as the cable) keeps the strain off of the pixel wiring.

FYI - The trees we have outlined are all done on the outside of the tree (such as that big one) and therefore the branches can sway in different directions at the same time. The cables do their job many times each hour when the wind blows.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Not mine, but very nicely done. He has it laid out in XLights, and added 3000 more this last year. They hand wrap it each year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf0O2jg0Z0A
    http://www.vixenlights.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Vixen3-Logo-435x165White-300x107.png

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12