Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RGBW choice in dropdown for RGB color handling?

Post Thanks / Like

Default RGBW choice in dropdown for RGB color handling?

I am looking for the RGBW choice in the color handling setup for pixels. In the dropdown I have all the RGB options but none with a "W". MartinMueller2003 has an extra choice at the bottom of his dropdown with the "W" option. Is there a setting somewhere that I need to change to get this? Fresh install of 3.8 64bit. Link to thread with pictures of mine vs. his dropdowns. Thanks!

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...h-ESPixelStick
    Making it bright since 1989...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: RGBW choice in dropdown for RGB color handling?

RGBW support is new and is currently only in the development builds. It will be included in an official build later this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCB View Post
    RGBW support is new and is currently only in the development builds. It will be included in an official build later this year.
    Thanks John. I pulled the latest dev build and see it there!
    Making it bright since 1989...

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds interesting! I'm curious on this (I guess I should have a play with the dev build)....

If you have 4 output channels, say:

Output 1 = R
    Output 2 = G
    Output 3 = B
    Output 4 = W

You select 255,255,255 in the colour mixer, would that colour output 255 to all 4 channels? In that case the W is sort of a grayscale version of the R,G,B values.
    With my RGBW I keep the RGB and W separate since the W at full brightness has a very different colour temperature than the RGB mix
    Last edited by RichieNorthcott; 05-09-2022 at 11:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

For the RGBW pixels I implemented on the EspixelStickV4, the pixels use a 32 bit wide data field. If using RGBW data on an RGB string the W data is simply ignored. This was an implementation choice. I can add an option to treat the W channel for RGB as a "Brightness level" to apply to the RGB data.

2022 - Not sure yet. At least two new songs.
    2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/MartinMueller2003

Post Thanks / Like

I installed the current Dev version to try out the RBBW feature. I was able to add a RBGW node and associate it with 4 output channels on the controller. Using pure R, G, B, or W outputs from the colour picker, the outputs are what I'd expect (using the debug controller

i.e.
    R = 255,0,0,0
    G = 0,255,0,0
    B = 0,0,255,0
    W = 0,0,0,255

I'm not figuring how Vixen is calculating the outputs based on mixes of RGB though using the standard colour picker. It seems a little random - but also I'm conscious this is still in development.

Post Thanks / Like

The algorithm of the new rgbw color breakdown is rather complicated. Calculating a non-primary color gets tricky with regard to how much should be added to ensure smooth transitions. It has to with how much white is in a given color. Do you have a specific question we could try to answer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The development for the the RGBW feature is complete. If you are experiencing problems in this area we would want to investigate. We did implement two different algorithms and could provide you with web page references if you were interested in the algorithms. We ran all combinations of R,G,B (16,777,216) through both algorithms and compared the results. Both algorithms produced the same values.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info, no I don't have a particular need I was just curious how this was implemented i.e how the RGB values map to the RGBW outputs. For my own purposes I might keep them as two separate nodes i.e. a white only node and a normal RGB node, since that gives more control on the colour mixing. This means two lines on the sequence editor, on the previews I locate the dots next to each other. I'm curious to see what the RGBW mixing looks like with actual lights rather than the preview, I will try in December

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RichieNorthcott View Post
    Thanks for the info, no I don't have a particular need I was just curious how this was implemented i.e how the RGB values map to the RGBW outputs. For my own purposes I might keep them as two separate nodes i.e. a white only node and a normal RGB node, since that gives more control on the colour mixing. This means two lines on the sequence editor, on the previews I locate the dots next to each other. I'm curious to see what the RGBW mixing looks like with actual lights rather than the preview, I will try in December
    This also means you need to patch each pixel individually - Twice. Once for the RGB part and once for the white part.

2022 - Not sure yet. At least two new songs.
    2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/MartinMueller2003

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast