Thread: PixelRadio, a DiY FM Transmitter with RDS RadioText

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PixelRadio, a DiY FM Transmitter with RDS RadioText

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasLED View Post
    Thanks for sharing your MQTT example.

The command syntax for MQTT and the other controllers is summarized here:
    https://github.com/thomastech/PixelR...Controllers.md

- Thomas
    I knew I had read it but couldn't find it when I needed it. I suppose I was just searching incorrectly for the examples.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2012 - Current : I light things up and I know stuff, it's what I do!

Post Thanks / Like

Just a heads up, but some users may experience build errors after PlatformIO auto-updates to the new 6.0 Core branch (released a few days ago). Two urgent patches have not fully resolved the problem.

I will post updates to the problem in the PixelRadio Github issue tracker. Please visit this link for the latest info:
    https://github.com/thomastech/PixelRadio/issues/1

EDIT: This issue was resolved with the release of PlatformIO Core 6.0.2 on June-01-2022.

- Thomas
    Last edited by ThomasLED; 06-02-2022 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Issue is resolved.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I can't seem to get the VS Code program to see which COM port my ESP device is using, and I've tried finding out which one, to no avail. I've got the ESP device plugged into the front panel of my desktop using a USB cable, and I see a steady blue light + a flashing green light, but I can't seem to determine just which COM port is being used (a search through Device Manager on Windows 10 reveals nothing for me. I've tried changing the COM port value from 1 to 8 and then saving the platformio_user.ini file, then trying to Upload again, but the terminal keeps telling me that it can't open COMx and fails the upload process.

How are you guys determining which COM port your ESP device is using on your computers?

Post Thanks / Like

If the USB Serial Port is not appearing in Device Manager's "Ports (COM & LPT)" section then something is wrong. Try a different USB port on your PC, a different USB cable, and if necessary try it on another PC.

If none of those things work then I suspect the ESP32 is bad. But before giving up on it, unplug it from your PixelRadio PCB and connect the bare ESP32 via USB to the PC. Does that work?

BTW, each time you plug it in you should hear Win10's connection chime. That's a simple test to know the PC recognized a new USB device was installed.

Lastly, during flashing it's not required to have 12V power connected to PixelRadio. The ESP32 will get power via USB. It's safer (a.k.a. less smoke) on a brand new build to flash first and check for web activity before adding 12V.

- Thomas

Post Thanks / Like

3 different USB cables, 2 different ports, and no luck. There is no "chime" to indicate that there is a connection happening. When the ESP32 module is plugged in, there's a tiny blue LED that lights up and starts flickering rapidly. A couple of seconds later, there is a green LED that starts blinking. I would assume that this means the ESP32 module is trying to communicate, but there's no way of ensuring this.

I can't unplug my ESP32 module from the PixelRadio board as I mentioned earlier in this thread - I hard soldered the module to the board and inadvertently used the short headers that came with the ESP32 module to do it and not the taller headers that were part of the BOM.

There is no 12V plugged in at this time - it's just the USB cable going directly to the ESP32.

I might have to order a new ESP32 module, and carefully cut/remove the current one from the PixelRadio board, de-solder the headers, and install the correct headers so I can plug in a new ESP32 module.

Ignore the previous - I tried cycling back through the USB cables and as soon as I plugged one of them in, I got the connection chime and found out mine is connecting via COM3. Did an upload, got a failure, tried again...SUCCESS!!!
    Last edited by Stormyblade; 05-25-2022 at 07:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Connected 1st time!! *does happy dance*

PixelRadio.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like 2 of the 3 cables are charging only cables.
    I run into this at work all the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Great to hear you got PlatformIO to work and successfully flashed PixelRadio. Be sure to label the golden USB cable, it's a keeper.

When the ESP32 module is plugged in, there's a tiny blue LED that lights up and starts flickering rapidly. A couple of seconds later, there is a green LED that starts blinking.
    The rapid blinking blue light means that external "VBAT" power is missing or low.

Earlier you mentioned it was steady blue, which would mean that PixelRadio's 12V supply was installed, which provides VBAT power via its L7805 VReg. So that's why I suggested removing 12V power, which is not required during flashing.

The slow blinking green LED means that the factory installed python program is running. The factory firmware will get overwritten when you flash PixelRadio and the blue LED will no longer blink.

- Thomas
    Last edited by ThomasLED; 05-25-2022 at 12:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I HAVE EXTRA PIXELRADIO BOARDS.

I just got my shipment of PixelRadio boards in from JCL (correct thickness, RED). I ended up with 8 boards, and I only need 1. Anyone who would like one please PM me. I will mail a board to you for $2.00 to cover shipping and packaging.
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2019 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2020 - Emergency Conversion to Falcon F48 with limited wireless
    2021 - 10 RHL Simple Pi Pixel Controllers - 1 Master with 9 Remotes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sonic777 View Post

Works perfectly, I noticed that the pixelradio will occasionally re-establish the connection but I'm sure this is due to no antenna on the ESP32 which have not arrived.
    I am not sure I understand this statement. There is no antenna on the ESP 32, or, your ESP 32 has not arrived?

Second question...if my ESP32 has already connected, do I need to do any more programming (other than getting it to work with the Pi), once the board is built (I could not find anything).
    I also notice in the build instructions, there are some jumpers that need installed. Just letting others know there are some instructions in the build.

EDIT: BTW, The .STL files print perfectly and fit the case like a glove!
    Last edited by Keith R; 05-26-2022 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Added content
    That's a feature not a bug.
    There's no charge for that.

Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast