Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: PixelRadio, a DiY FM Transmitter with RDS RadioText

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PixelRadio, a DiY FM Transmitter with RDS RadioText

Quote Originally Posted by sonic777 View Post
    So, I just ran through building the software and had to update line 21 of the platformio.ini file the to following since I was on a different release of Espressif32. Otherwise it gets caught up with some newer version file in the vfs_api.h and starts throwing errors in LITTLEFS.cpp where the newer version is looking for 3 values but the older only sets 2 values. After that it also breaks the build for the lib under WebAuthentication.cpp when it tries to build the ELF joins and run the cert commands.

Thomas you may want to update this in your master branch to reduce the number of questions about this issue. I'm a developer by day and this was easy for me but I'm sure some here are not and could get tripped up on this item.

Line 21 platformio.ini
    old:
    platform = espressif32

new:
    platform = espressif32@3.5.0
    That is what got me but I had no idea how to fix it so I moved on to the alternative upload method which worked fine for me. Glad someone who knows what to do got it figured out.

Post Thanks / Like

Thomas you may want to update this in your master branch to reduce the number of questions about this issue. I'm a developer by day and this was easy for me but I'm sure some here are not and could get tripped up on this item.
    Code:
    Line 21 platformio.ini
    old:
    platform = espressif32
    new:
    platform = espressif32@3.5.0
    Thanks for reporting this. PixelRadio does indeed need espressif32 V3.5.0. I took a look at the espressif32 changelog and it appears an updated major version was released a couple weeks ago. And it breaks the LITTLEFS library functions. It's frustrating when library devs do such things.

I'll update platformio.ini to specifically call the 3.5.0 platform. Easy fix. And it doesn't change the bin file, so PixelRadio's version stays the same. I like that!

- Thomas
    Last edited by ThomasLED; 05-08-2022 at 12:39 AM. Reason: PixelRadio version remains the same

Post Thanks / Like

Nuts!

I can't believe I missed that call out on PCB size. as 1.2mm is not 'typical'.

thanks for the confirmation.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasLED View Post
    Glad you had success with printing the panel.

Sorry to hear that your PCB is the wrong thickness. You probably ordered 1.6mm and it needs to be 1.2mm. Unfortunately this also affects the RF amp performance since the trace impedance is influenced by board thickness (i.e., dielectric constant).

If you haven't assembled the board then I highly recommend reordering with the correct specs. But if you've already soldered the components then don't waste your effort; file the edges of the PCB so it fits the groove in the enclosure.

Before reordering the board, please review this: https://github.com/thomastech/PixelR...n/docs/Artwork

- Thomas

Post Thanks / Like

Crap, I did the same thing!

Quote Originally Posted by ukewarrior View Post
    Nuts!

I can't believe I missed that call out on PCB size. as 1.2mm is not 'typical'.

thanks for the confirmation.

Post Thanks / Like

It seems that my docs are not clear about the board thickness. The 1.2mm thickness is called in the PCB fab specs and it even gets its own IMPORTANT Tag.
    Attached is a screenshot.

Assuming that project builders are reading the docs, the only thing I can think of is to change the color of the text to red, so it looks like this:
    PCB Thickness: 1.2mm

Or what are your recommendations?

- Thomas
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Thomas, so if the boards have not arrived and I ordered the wrong thickness, I should go ahead and order the correct one? How much does it affect performance if I use them? I thought board thickness was spelled out in the Gerber files.
    Anything else I need to be aware of?
    Keith
    That's a feature not a bug.
    There's no charge for that.

Post Thanks / Like

so if the boards have not arrived and I ordered the wrong thickness, I should go ahead and order the correct one?
    Yes -- I recommend ordering the correct PCB if your PixelRadio has not been assembled.

How much does it affect performance if I use them?
    Performance impact is unknown. But it could be characterized with a network analyzer.

Fortunately PixelRadio's RF amplifier is a conservative design and operation will remain stable, even with a mistake like this one. So it's not the end of the world.

I thought board thickness was spelled out in the Gerber files.
    Unfortunately specs such as the base material and thickness must be provided by the order details (invoice). *ALL* the specs provided in the Artwork document need to be manually selected when the PCB is ordered.

FWIW, I'm adding more warnings to the Artwork docs for project builders to follow. Hopefully this issue does not pop up again. But success ultimately depends on what is ordered from the PCB fab supplier.
    EDIT: GitHub Artwork Readme document has been updated.

So please observe the documentation. If anything is unclear then I'm here for guidance. I want everyone to have a good experience with building and operating their PixelRadio.

Anything else I need to be aware of?
    Probably? There's a lot of information needed to be successful with this build. Please re-review all the project docs to ensure you didn't miss anything.

Feedback, including build tips, will help everyone. So you're all invited to share/contribute your ideas.

- Thomas
    Last edited by ThomasLED; 05-09-2022 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Artwork docs now updated.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm reordering my boards.
    Let me know if you want one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate the offer, but I've already placed an order! If you haven't yet, you are also welcome to a few of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by ukewarrior View Post
    I'm reordering my boards.
    Let me know if you want one.

Post Thanks / Like

It is absolutely no fault of yours! The docs were clear, I think it's just that most of us are male and don't read instructions :-)
    I get excited about things sometimes and have a tendency to rush through it. I should have taken more time and paid attention. I skimmed over the board specs and just didn't catch that the thickness was different.
    It might help to highlight that part in red like you said though.
    No big deal. It never hurts to have boards for my kids to practice their soldering skills on...

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasLED View Post
    It seems that my docs are not clear about the board thickness. The 1.2mm thickness is called in the PCB fab specs and it even gets its own IMPORTANT Tag.
    Attached is a screenshot.

Assuming that project builders are reading the docs, the only thing I can think of is to change the color of the text to red, so it looks like this:
    PCB Thickness: 1.2mm

Or what are your recommendations?

- Thomas

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast