Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Getting Started with ESP32 and the ESPixelstick FW

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Getting Started with ESP32 and the ESPixelstick FW

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    I am sure they are STILL keeping you up at night.
    Actually they forced me to learn VS/platformIO usage ,so a good loss of sleep in the end .

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the latest output...
    I do not get the corrupted dir pair when I build through the IDE. I used to before I updated the ESP32FS tool to the latest. It is the latest, and I do select LittleFS when I do the file system upload... Like banging my head against the wall....

[ ESP] ESPixelStick v4.x-dev (Jan 27 2022 - 20:03:14)
    [ ESP] v4.4-beta1-189-ga79dc75f0a
    ./components/esp_littlefs/src/littlefs/lfs.c:1071:error: Corrupted dir pair at {0x0, 0x1}
    E (39) esp_littlefs: mount failed, (-84)
    E (39) esp_littlefs: Failed to initialize LittleFS
    [ 50][E][LittleFS.cpp:94] begin(): Mounting LittleFS failed! Error: -1
    [FileMgr] *** Flash file system did not initialize correctly ***
    [FileMgr] SD Card Size: 29818MB
    [FileMgr] > System Volume Information
    [FileMgr] WPSettings.dat - 12
    [FileMgr] IndexerVolumeGuid - 76
    [FileMgr] Owen.fseq - 391748
    [FileMgr] UGA.fseq - 767108
    [ 936][E][vfs_api.cpp:22] open(): File system is not mounted
    [ 937][E][vfs_api.cpp:22] open(): File system is not mounted
    [ 993][E][vfs_api.cpp:22] open(): File system is not mounted
    [FileMgr] ***Configuration File: '/output_config.json' Could not open file for writing..***
    [OutputMgr] *** Error Saving Output Manager Config File ***
    [ 1012][E][vfs_api.cpp:22] open(): File system is not mounted
    [ 1018][E][vfs_api.cpp:22] open(): File system is not mounted
    [FileMgr] ***Configuration File: '/input_config.json' Could not open file for writing..***
    [InputMgr] *** Error Saving Input Manager Config File ***
    [FileMgr] ERROR: Cannot open 'wificonfig.json' for reading. File does not exist.
    [FileMgr] SD file: 'wificonfig.json' not found.
    [ 1052][E][vfs_api.cpp:22] open(): File system is not mounted
    [FileMgr] ***Configuration File: '/config.json' Could not open file for writing..***
    [WiFiDrv] WiFi Entering State: Connecting Using Default Credentials
    [WiFiDrv] Using DHCP
    [WiFiDrv] Connecting to 'heldWireless' as esps-E415F9A3C9C8
    [WiFiDrv] WiFi Entering State: Connected To AP
    [WiFiDrv] Connected with IP: 192.168.86.38
    [ WebMgr] Web server listening on port 80
    [ FPPD] Listening on port 32320
    -Chris

2012: 3 Renard SS24's for 72 channels... 6236 lights... 4 songs... powered by HLS
    2013-2020 - a little bit more each year...
    2021: 4 Renard SS boards driving 88 channels... 32 FAST tubes.... 7 ESPixelsticks driving 3000 pixels... 10 songs... powered by xLights and FPP

Post Thanks / Like

I compared the 2 complier outputs (PlatformIO and IDE) and the differences seem inconsequential:
    • PlatformIO autodetects the 4MB flash size (already configured in IDE)
    • PlatformIO erases the flash locations sequentially, IDE jumps around a bit
    • Slightly different program sizes at 2 of the flash locations - this seems odd to me, but matches what Martin posted
      • 17088 vs 17104 at 0x00001000
      • 1080176 vs 1079488 at 0x00010000
    • Slightly different compression and upload times
    • PlatformIO programs the flash locations sequentially, IDE jumps around a bit
    -Chris

2012: 3 Renard SS24's for 72 channels... 6236 lights... 4 songs... powered by HLS
    2021: 4 Renard SS boards driving 88 channels... 32 FAST tubes.... 7 ESPixelsticks driving 3000 pixels... 10 songs... powered by xLights and FPP

Post Thanks / Like

I started over... downloaded the latest Martin branch from github... added my secrets.h... copied in my user.ini... uncommented the #include secrets.h...

Same results - little F's not happy when loading from Platform IO.... little Fs happy when loading from the IDE (it couldn't read the SD card though until I remembered to go uncomment my board in GPIO_Defs...

Not sure where to go here.... I have a ESP32-CAM and and a LOLIN D32 Pro - would trying to build on them help diagnose the issue?
    -Chris

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure if this will be any help. I had similar issues when I was playing around with adding the SD Card on the ESP8266 and D1miniESP32.

I managed to get this working by using 16GB cards formatted in Fat32 The 32 cards I was trying at first would only format exFat and couldn't be read.

Confirm the pin selection is correct in the software. My SD card shields needed to be changed to Pin5 on the admin page.
    On the Device setup page on output two - I changed it to Remote and when I pressed save and rebooted the board, the file management option became available.

Might not be related to your issue, but the symptoms where very similar to your issue.

Post Thanks / Like

yes it would. I have a LoLin D32 Pro. That is what I am testing on.

2022 - Not sure yet. At least two new songs.
    2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/MartinMueller2003

Post Thanks / Like

Martin - I assume for the Lolin D32 Pro I set the environment to d32_pro? I gave it a quick go but it seems I need to pull a pin high/low or something to program, it times out trying to connect. It did autodetect the COM port which is positive. I will look at that tonight.

On my mini board I had to either put a capacitor between RST and GND or pull IO0 low to program it (I was using the capacitor out of convenience - with IO0 low it wouldn't boot - it would be waiting for a file upload so I would remove the resistor after programming; the capacitor I can just leave there)

Townshend - thanks for the suggestion. I will look more into that once I see if I can get the Lolin working. I didn't think its' SD card related because even with the liffle Fs errors, it's reading what files are on the SD card, but some of this seems like black magic so who knows!
    -Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Chris.

Yes the device is d32_pro

For the LoLin D32 PRO card, for both the Arduino and PlatformIO IDEs all I do is connect a usb cable to the card. No manipulation of GPIO-0 is needed. The card uses the RTS DTR signals from the built in UART to drive GPIO-0 as needed. Dont add anything to that pin. I did not use com port auto detect. I specify the ports in my PlatformIO users file.

You are correct, internal flash and external SD card use different pins/signals to access the respective devices.
    Last edited by MartinMueller2003; 01-28-2022 at 09:01 AM.

2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.

Post Thanks / Like

I assume for the Lolin D32 Pro I set the environment to d32_pro? I gave it a quick go but it seems I need to pull a pin high/low or something to program, it times out trying to connect. It did autodetect the COM port which is positive. I will look at that tonight.
    If there is an SD Card installed on your D32 Pro then remove it and try the upload again. I have to do this on my ESP32 TTGO-T8 boards and perhaps the Lolin D32 is the same.

If you decide to use Platformio for uploading, and get tired of having to jump back to the Arduino IDE for the LITTLEFS data flashing, then see this:
    https://github.com/forkineye/ESPixelStick/issues/451
    If you add the LITTLEFS script (highly recommended) you will never have to leave Platformio to build/flash your ESP32 devices. One stop shopping, so to speak.

- Thomas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasLED View Post
    If there is an SD Card installed on your D32 Pro then remove it and try the upload again. I have to do this on my ESP32 TTGO-T8 boards and perhaps the Lolin D32 is the same.
    I have not had this issue. I upload a new image with the SD Card plugged in all the time.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast