Thread: Module Light help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Module Light help

Hello,
    I have some high power RGB Led Sign Module (LSM-RGB3x3) and DMX-4-5000 decoder. Is it possible for these to be programmed for some type of light display? What software could i use to get these to work? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Module Light help

it appears you are describing what we refer to as dumb rgb strings and 4 channel dmx decoder. if so, you can change the color of the modules one color at time. you will need hardware that can send dmx.Either xlights or Vixen software will allow you to control the lights. You could also go for something like wled running on esp8266 or esp32 and a 485max transceiver. That would a good way to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok so if I don't use the decoder are they still one color at a time? Is there anything these are good for in a light display? Thanks for the info

Post Thanks / Like

I believe HLS software can control those modules as a single pixel channel if you need something to try .
    More than likely all of the softwares here can do the same based on your output and hardware configurations .
    I believe there is a 3 rgb to 1 pixel demonstration video on youtube .
    Last edited by angus40; 01-27-2022 at 09:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post
    Ok so if I don't use the decoder are they still one color at a time? Is there anything these are good for in a light display? Thanks for the info
    A house a few towns over has an old rowboat for decoration in their front yard. They wrapped something similar around the edge of the boat and they have it blinking and flashing away. It might make a nice border display somewhere. Another use is to highlight or backlight something. A few years ago, many "tune to" signs were backlight with single color strings of lights. They can be used as wall washers by mounting them along the back edge of the soffit.

If you don't use the decoder, you need something else to control (power) the LEDs.

If you have dumb rgb modules, they are usually controlled by 4 wires. Voltage on one and a ground connection on the other three. So they can only react (turn on) to the ground connection being completed. That is the purpose of the controller (your case the dmx decoder). The controller is taking in dmx and turning on the ground in some PWM configuration. The string is one color because there is only one controller for the whole string. Contrast this with a WS2811 pixel. The pixel IC accepts ws2811 protocol and controls the grounds of three tiny LEDs put close together on the board with the IC. Each pixel chip controls one set of LEDs. The amperage that the WS2811 passes to the LEDs is nowhere near what your DMX decoder can do but it is able to control each set of LEDs individually while your DMX decoder can pass along probably 5A on each channel but only control 4 channels (in your setup most likely just 3 being used).