Thread: ESPixelstick 4.X and SD Cards

Post Thanks / Like

Default ESPixelstick 4.X and SD Cards

I think this question is mainly aimed at @martinMueller due to his involvement in the 4.0 project.

The question is:
    Are there any stipulations on the SD Card requirements?
    --- i.e Format type (fat 32, exfat NTFS )
    --- card capacity max. as this can tie in with the format type and file system. i.e exfat is for cards larger than 32GB so no point using 64GB if it can't read exfat or buying SDXC cards.
    --- Category class 4, 10 etc

I'm about to buy 15 cards and I want to make sure I get the right ones for this application.

Thanks in advance.

These are some examples:
    sdcards.png

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ESPixelstick 4.X and SD Cards

I had problems with 3 / 15 cards that I tested. ( including Samsung cards that I was able to verify as legitimate and Sandisk Endurance that was bought directly from sandisk ) so it can be finicky. I ended up with some cheap Microcenter cards that worked fine on 15 pixel sticks that I ran as part of my Christmas display.

I suggest buying 1 then testing it ( make sure the unit boots properly 10x in a row ) before making a larger purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

32GB would be the max. FAT32 is the format. I have not had any issues when using my class 10 uhs. Admitedly, I only have sandevices sd cards so I have not tried a wide variety of options.

2022 - Not sure yet. At least two new songs.
    2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/MartinMueller2003

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    32GB would be the max. FAT32 is the format. I have not had any issues when using my class 10 uhs. Admitedly, I only have sandevices sd cards so I have not tried a wide variety of options.
    Sorted. I got hold of some 16GB class 10 (price was good) formatted to Fat32, selected the correct sd pin, selected output two as remote. saved, rebooted and all is good. Includes ESP32 (D1 mini format) as well as ESP8266 D1 mini.

Thanks for the advice and continued work on the software.