Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Has anyon used more than two Arduinos with vixen 3 using pixels?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Has anyon used more than two Arduinos with vixen 3 using pixels?

Ha! Ritchie posted while I was typing. Also, Vixen sends all zeros if no elements have any effects configured. That may be why you see activity on the Rx LED.
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Try the serial monitor - it's a free download. They you will know where to look i.e. hardware or something dicky on your Vixen config / PC. As Kev says, it's always outputting (when the controllers are enabled) and you'll see 0x00 bytes

Post Thanks / Like

I downloaded two different port monitors, and neither worked. Both when loaded and launched, looking at the com port the arduino is on, kept me from uploading a sketch to any board. I feel llike this project is backing up, because now I'm asking if anyone has actually used a serial port monitor while programming or using the serial port on arduinos? I'm sure that there is professional software, as it showed up in my searches, but I can't afford it. A lot of the free stuff will only do one port at a time, one will not work on ports already opened, and some will only show the port being used. I'm hopeful that someone has some experience. I'm also very glad that I'm starting in January, and should have the bugs worked out and get get started on my sequencing.
    Thanks for all the help so far!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wm5e View Post
    Yes, I've hooked everything up to my non-powered hub,...
    Some thoughts -

Does your computer have more than 1 USB available? Try multiple USBs on computer, not through the hub.

You could have a bad HUB. Try a powered hub. Maybe your USB can't provide enough power for the NON powered hub.

Are you powering the Arduinos from a separate power supply? Again, the USB probably can not provide enough power to run them all.

Please show us the graphical channel mapping screens with the elements and the controller channels they are mapped to.
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

If the serial tools are not working for you, maybe you can use this modified sketch to see some information. It is untested. I can't even compile it from this computer. If it is working you should see 8 green leds and #9 should be showing the data you sent (maybe so fast it doesn't look like much). If you see one led red-ish, then you should check the text header. Any other number of leds would lead us to check other things. As I said, I haven't tested but give it a try.
    Code:
    /*

*/

// You must download and install the library from http://fastled.io/
    #include <FastLED.h>

// Sets the maximum number of LEDs that this code will handle to avoid running out of memory
    // #define NUM_LEDS 50
    #define NUM_LEDS 10

// Sets the pin which is used to connect to the LED pixel strip
    #define DATA_PIN 6

CRGB leds[NUM_LEDS];

void setup() {
      // Define the speed of the serial port
      Serial.begin(115200);
      FastLED.addLeds<WS2812B, DATA_PIN, GRB>(leds, num_leds);
    }

void loop() {
      // Set some counter / temporary storage variables
      int cnt;
      unsigned int num_leds;
      unsigned int d1, d2, d3;

// Begin an endless loop to receive and process serial data
      for (;;) {
        FastLED.clear();
        FastLED.show();
        // Set a counter to 0. This couter keeps track of the pixel colors received.
        cnt = 0;
        //Begin waiting for the header to be received on the serial bus
        //1st character
        while (!Serial.available());
        if (Serial.read() != '>') {
          leds[1] = CRGB::Red;
          FastLED.show();
          continue;
        }
        leds[1] = CRGB::Green;
        //second character
        if (Serial.read() != '>') {
          leds[2] = CRGB::Red;
          FastLED.show();
          continue;
        }
        leds[2] = CRGB::Green;
        //get the first digit from the serial bus for the number of pixels to be used
        d1 = Serial.read();
        led[3] = CRGB::GREEN;
        //get the second digit from the serial bus for the number of pixels to be used
        d2 = Serial.read();
        led[4] = CRGB::GREEN;
        //get the third digit from the serial bus for the number of pixels to be used
        d3 = Serial.read();
        led[5] = CRGB::GREEN;
        //get the end of the header
        if (Serial.read() != '<') {
          leds[6] = CRGB::Red;
          FastLED.show();
          continue;
        }
        leds[6] = CRGB::Green;
        if (Serial.read() != '<') {
          leds[7] = CRGB::Red;
          FastLED.show();
          continue;
        }
        leds[7] = CRGB::Green;

// calculate the number of pixels based on the characters provided in the header digits
        num_leds = (d1 - '0') * 100 + (d2 - '0') * 10 + (d3 - '0');
        // ensure the number of pixels does not exceed the number allowed
        if (num_leds > NUM_LEDS) {
          leds[8] = CRGB::Red;
          FastLED.show();
          continue;
        }
        leds[8] = CRGB::Green;
        // Let the FastLED library know how many pixels we will be addressing
        // FastLED.addLeds<WS2812B, DATA_PIN, GRB>(leds, num_leds);
        // Loop through each of the pixels and read the values for each color
        do {
          leds[9].r = Serial.read();
          leds[9].g = Serial.read();
          leds[9].b = Serial.read();
          FastLED.show();
        }
        while (--num_leds);
        // Tell the FastLED Library it is time to update the strip of pixels
        // FastLED.show();
        // WOO HOO... We are all done and are ready to start over again!
      }
    }

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not following why you need to have the serial monitor active at the same time as you're uploading a sketch? Definitely don't have the IDE open at the same time as Vixen since the IDE will lock the ports. You don't need the IDE running when running the arduinos on USB since the sketch/ccode lives on them.

From the free software I sent the link for, the demo mode does everything you need.
    https://www.eltima.com/products/serial-port-monitor/

Select 'new session' from the 'session' menu while Vixen is outputting values. Pick one of the serial ports. It doesn't matter what sketch is on the Arduinos, you are monitoring the bytes which are being sent to the port you select. In the 'old' days when dedicated serial ports were built into the PC, you wouldn't have needed anything connected. It's just monitoring the Tx data being sent to that port. You can only monitor one at a time but you can check they're containing the correct data. if the monitor isn't working for you this suggests a problem with your PC / USB ports.

IMO you should be okay powering a few arduinos from ports, as others are saying if you're using a hub you may hit power limits though. Assume you're using a separate PSU for the pixels? And you have the PSU ground linked up to the arduino ground? IIRC each Arudino uses about 40mA.

Hope that helps?
    Last edited by RichieNorthcott; 01-15-2022 at 10:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have the IDE open when I'm running vixen. I thought I was referring to the port monitor that was suggested that I use for troubleshooting. I will give your link a shot and see how that works. I have separate power supplies for the leds, and only powering the Arduinos from the USB. I have the single data wire (pin 6) going to the data line on the strings, and the 5 volts is coming from a separate 5 Volt, 40 Amp power supply. I do have my Arduino grounds all tied together and also to the power supply ground.

Post Thanks / Like

It always seems like it's some tiny little detail. When I looked at my data on the data stream, my header was >>50<<. I guess seeing that and knowing the header needs to be a three digit number pointed me in the right direction quickly. Apparently I had set up the first output in Vixen when I was thinking, and later when I added the other two, I wasn't thinking as much! Anyway, I've just now seen three arduinos running three strings, and I'm thrilled. I've gotten a lot of input that I'll use going forward (3 is not nearly enough) so I've ordered a powered hub, and now I'm looking into a 10 or 15 port powered hub. Thank you to all of you guys that made suggestions and hung in there with me. It's a long time till December, but I'm headed in the right direction now.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear it's sorted - the screen grab you shared did show 050 but sounds like it was wrong on the others from what you're saying. Yes the sketch is expecting three digits here so one missing would cause it to fail.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123