Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyon used more than two Arduinos with vixen 3 using pixels?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Has anyon used more than two Arduinos with vixen 3 using pixels?

Have you tries a Serial port monitor application running on the machine running Vixen? Then you could look at each of your ports and see what's going on. I found one on eltima.com - never used it but that might give some pointers. Maybe keep it super simple and just test with a couple of pixels on each 'controller'.
    Last edited by RichieNorthcott; 01-13-2022 at 01:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The serial port seems to be working based on the receive led on the arduinos being lit. When I didn't have my serial port connections proper, I wouldn't get the light. It's my arduinos look like they are all receiving the serial data from Vixen, but all but one won't have any output on pin 6. And I have noticed the first one, com port 6, is always the one that works, IIRC.

Post Thanks / Like

what does ports show in device manager?

Post Thanks / Like

Just for clarity - there is no relation between the COM port number and the pin being used on the Arduino. Output pin 6 is defined in the sketch but you could pick any of the available output pins. I'm sure you know that though

I've seen cases in the past where software only works with lower COM port numbers. As Mike says, device manager should give you some pointers on this. It's possible (IIRC) to move port numbers around to unused ports.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you plugging in all of the Arduinos into the USB ports before launching Vixen? If not, try it.
    Are you usig a powered USB hub?
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I do have a handle on the pin number and com port not being related, but I appreciate your comment because I've missed more obvious things that that before I seem to remember back in the old XP days you could manipulate the com ports pretty easily, so I'm going to research that a little more today.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I've hooked everything up to my non-powered hub, and programmed each with the exact same sketch, selecting the proper com port in the tools section of the IDE. And each time, I see the correct board receive it's code. Then I close the IDE, launch Vixen, and in setup, go to each board and set the port number and other information, along with the header. Only the first one works!

Post Thanks / Like

OK so I tried the following for you:

- added 2 arduinos, on COM4 and COM5
    - Added 2 x controllers in Vixen with the serial properties you mentioned. I set the output count to 6 on each and the header to >>002<<
    - Added an arch with 4 RGB pixels
    - Linked pixels 1 & 2 to the COM4 controller outputs (2 x 3)
    - Linked pixels 3 & 4 to the COM5 controller outputs (2 x 3)

I used the serial montitor application I sent you the link for, the data looks exactly as I'd expect for both COM4 and COM5. I see the header data followed by the 6 bytes.

e.g. with RED output one 'frame' of data reads 3e 3e 30 30 32 3c 3c [that's the header] followed by ff 00 00 ff 00 00

If your arduinos are working on their own I'm thinking the issue is likely with your vixen config. Here's mine:

profile.png

Suggest you try with a low number of pixels like this first and see if you can make that work. I didn't try flashing my arduinos with the sketch, but I would expect it to work since the serial data monitor was fine.
    Last edited by RichieNorthcott; 01-14-2022 at 02:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I know that we have asked a lot of basic setup questions because it seems that we are missing something fairly simple. We know that Vixen can send out multiple com port signals configured as Generic Serial. So what we have not seen yet is the channel mapping in Vixen. Please give us a screen shot of the GRAPHICAL channel mapping.
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

To address the question of how the com ports are configured in the device manager, here's a screen shot.ports 1.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast