Thread: Phantom Pixels

Post Thanks / Like

Default Phantom Pixels

I am trying to get my display up and running and I am running into some strange things. Help would be appreciated.

Here is the info for my setup. I am running a K-16A-B controller that is controlling a mega tree with 24 strands of 50 pixels, and a 24" Boscoyo star on the top with 90 pixels, as well as three arches: two arches with 50 pixels each, and then one arch with 75 pixels. The pixels are all 5V WS2811's. I have Meanwell LRS-350 that is power injecting every 50 pixels.

First off, I am getting some phantom pixels that just turn on immediately on my tree when I plug in power. This happens immediately before FPP even boots up. See attached photo.
    IMG_2717.jpg

Secondly in my middle larger arch with 75 pixels, I am only getting pixel response about halfway through. At exactly 40 pixels (90 for the string since the arches are wired in series) the signal stops, and the next pixel does not respond at all to the FPP test mode and I can't figure out why. I tried replacing the string, but still the same thing - number 40 lights up, but 41 will not respond. I know I have good power injection on both ends of the arch, and there is no dimming effect similar to bad power. Any thoughts anyone? See photos attached.
    IMG_2714.jpgIMG_2715.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Phantom Pixels

1) phantom pixels - do they clear up when playing a show or after boot? ( if not check for water, snow or ice in your connector. )

2) for the incomplete arch do you have a pixel tester? ( something like this https://www.wiredwatts.com/testerp3 )

Iím thinking Itís one of two things. A setup issue on the controller ( the tester would help diagnose that ) or the last lit pixel isnít passing data out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Do the phantom pixels stay on? It's normal for some phantom pixels to flash briefly on power up.

Doublecheck that your FPP outputs are set up correctly. All universes you are using in xLights need to be output from FPP as well.
    Tools->FPP Connect should do it, but check to be sure.

Post Thanks / Like

So I have an update, you guys were correct for the arch issue. That was just a controller configuration. I had my Boscoyo star, and Arches mixed up on which port they were connected to, hence why the arches stopped at exactly 90 pixels. So now I just need to solder back in the pixels I cut out and it will be good to go.

But as for the phantom pixels, they stay on constantly, and even when a show plays, the pixel then changes color, but the underlying phantom pixel is not budging - i.e when the show puts blue over the a phantom pixel that is lit up red, the color is magenta, so the phantom red pixel is staying on even though the new data is passing through. I checked all my connectors for snow and ice, and they all look good. Any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Check your connections for the strings that have the issues right at the K-16A-B controller .

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I will pull my #4 port that runs that last 400 pixels, and reattach my leads and see if that is the issue tonight. I'm fairly confident the connections are good in the string of 400 pixels itself because the last two strings are unaffected, and work normally in a show. So I know my data and power are good throughout the string. I just cant figure out why two strings in the middle are acting so strangely (again reference the first photo in my first post in this thread, they stay on constantly). If reconnecting my controller lead doesn't work, Ill also swap out these strings with the last strings and see if it is a problem with the strings themselves that just need to be replaced, or if it is that specific location in my tree that is causing the issue. I'll let you know tonight how it goes. But any more info or suggestions would be very helpful for me to figure things out.