Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody Using ASUS Wifi/Router for ESPixelstick Based Display?? Configuration Help

Post Thanks / Like

Question Anybody Using ASUS Wifi/Router for ESPixelstick Based Display?? Configuration Help

Looks like I have configuration issues with new ASUS Wifi/Router (model RTAX58U/AX3000). I installed it due to old Netgear wifi router signall at ESPs was degrading. New ASUS improved most ESP signal strength by 5 - 10 db or more. But the new ASUS seems to be dropping data in whole universe chunks.

With old Netgear I can get all lights to light from FPP display testing page where new ASUS drops universes.

I have 20 universes of 510 channels defined in the output channel configuration.

Universes 4, 16, 18 and 19 are not displaying correctly whether running a sequence or running light test.
    All ESPs will light all pixels when running onboard effects.
    I have 10,075 defined channels in the sequencing software but have 10,200 (20 full universes of 510 channels) defined in FPP output channel configuration. I did try changing universe 20 to 385 channels without improvement.
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Anybody Using ASUS Wifi/Router for ESPixelstick Based Display?? Configuration Hel

Have you had a look see here ??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Anybody Using ASUS Wifi/Router for ESPixelstick Based Display?? Configuration Hel

Quote Originally Posted by angus40 View Post
    Have you had a look see here ??
    Thanks Angus40 but I already don't know very much about networking and configuring network equipment. I'm guessing/hoping that there is a configuration option that needs to be toggled. I am hoping someone out there uses ASUS and can provide some hints.
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Ah , NP Kev .

-wrp firmwares make life easier for configuration in my view. The pages within the GUI are much more descriptive and the helpfile is detailed .

Updating router firmware is easier than flashing your ESP's

I could not imagine a router without wrt !

Cheers
    Last edited by angus40; 12-06-2021 at 10:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you using unicast or multicast for the e1.31 data sent to the esps?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EE351 View Post
    Are you using unicast or multicast for the e1.31 data sent to the esps?
    Multicast
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kev View Post
    Multicast
    Most consumer grade router/AP combos do not handle multicast traffic very well. You might want to look into an ubiquiti nanostation locoM2, as these have been used by many of us here and have been proven to work reliably with the ESPs and multicast data over e1.31.

Are your sequences 25ms or 50ms?
    Last edited by EE351; 12-07-2021 at 01:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

With high number of ESPs, I suggest a 50ms refresh rate or slower.

2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/MartinMueller2003

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EE351 View Post
    Most consumer grade router/AP combos do not handle multicast traffic very well. You might want to look into an ubiquiti nanostation locoM2, as these have been used by many of us here and have been proven to work reliably with the ESPs and multicast data over e1.31.

Are your sequences 25ms or 50ms?
    I tried the locoM2 the previous 2 years but could not get it to work properly. Most of the sequences are 50ms, some imported sequences are 25ms. I had a Netgear router that had worked good the last 2 years but decided this year to introduce 4-5 seconds of lag. Signal strength at the ESPs had degraded by 5 - 10 dbs/ So I bought a new wifi/router which actually provides a stronger signal at the ESPs, so strong that it is 5 - 10 db better than 2 years ago when the show ran flawlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    With high number of ESPs, I suggest a 50ms refresh rate or slower.
    Problems happen regardless of frame rate. When I put the old Netgear wifi/router back in service, I do not get the dropped universe but I do get 4-5 seconds of lag compared to the audio output. When I put the new ASUS wifi/router in service, there is no lag but I am missing complete universes. I finally got a phone number and case number to call ASUS for technical help. Will be calling them tomorrow morning.
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Have you looked into reclaiming bandwidth by disabling QOS ?
    This is one of the first things I do after installing a new OS .
    Last edited by angus40; 12-07-2021 at 09:57 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast