Thread: FPP Sync

Post Thanks / Like

Default FPP Sync

I finally have a good handle on how Players/remotes work in FPP. During testing things are working great and it's such a versatile system.
    I do have a question about how FPP would correct sync problem it finds. For example it 'remote A' was out of sync and behind the rest of the show, would it just skip ahead to regain sync?
    If this is the case, it seems it would be best practice to put the sound track on the master. It is the most common practice.
    We also have a video file that will play clips on a projection screen at various times in the show. We planned to put this on a dedicated FPP remote, but we also don't want the video skipping.
    Any suggestions in this regard?
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: FPP Sync

Master keeps local sound and video in sync with local sequence. It also sends out sync packets that say "I am at millisecond xyz" when a remote receives that message it moves forward or back in the sequence to align with that message. It is critical that the sync message be delivered without any significant delay or jitter. In addition the remotes have a setting to say "Add/subtract this number of milliseconds from the time the master sent you". That can be used to configure out a consistent delay that may be added by your network.

2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/MartinMueller2003

Post Thanks / Like

How do you actually control a matrix? Do you upload files via the Falcon Player to a BBB and then send commands over Ethernet using something like an Falcon F48?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Martin. So the audio track (MyShow.wav) and the video track (MyShow.mp4) should both be on the master?

that was my other question actually-- if the master (or remote I guess) can play two file simultaneously.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by munu View Post
    How do you actually control a matrix? Do you upload files via the Falcon Player to a BBB and then send commands over Ethernet using something like an Falcon F48?
    Put FPP on the BBB and run it in remote mode. It will sync to the master.

2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.

Post Thanks / Like

I know the master plays multiple files at the same. I have to tried it on a slave so I cannot tell you if the slave can do this as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Any FPP instance regardless of master or slave, can play one media file at a time, audio or video, but not both audio and video at once. There's no way to specify both at once in the playlist. So you only need the media file that particular FPP is going to use. And it can be mp3 on the master and mp4 on the slave.

That's not to say that it can't output video and audio at the same time. It certainly can. But it has to come from the same file.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Got it.