Thread: 2x2 Matrix Wiring with BBB with OctoScroller

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2x2 Matrix Wiring with BBB with OctoScroller

I have a hard time finding information about how to wire up a 2x2 P5/P10 using a BBB. From the little information I found I believe

* I only need one socket (#1) of the octoscroller for a 2x2 P5 1/16 (See attachment with number 1)
    * Then connect the top right matrix to the top left matrix with a ribbon cable (see attachment with number 2). PS: When saying left/right I am referring to the picture. When you turn over the box sideways right becomes left.
    * Then connect the top left with the bottom left (cable isn't quite long enough but I will create a custom cable)
    * Then connect bottom left to bottom right

Is this the way to do it? I am trying to create a mount for the PSU and BBB and so I need to know the orientation and connections.

Here are a couple of links I consulted (plus others and youtube videos).

https://www.diychristmas.org/wiki/in...Matrix_Display
    https://kulplights.com/product/octoplus/
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 2x2 Matrix Wiring with BBB with OctoScroller

Configuration will be easier if you use 2 outputs from the octoscroller. Run the second one to the lower right panel in the picture then the cable on the far left isn't necessary.

Post Thanks / Like

@gassy, I realized that the panels in the lower part also have the arrows pointing down and to the left. So I think the #3 connection wouldn't even work. I guess I could rotate the lower panels by 180 degrees but then I have the up and down arrow going against each other. So maybe after all I did it right and you just use one output for each octoscroller for one row or panels. And if the display is really big so that one output doesn't cover one row of panels (too many pixels) then you start using multiple outputs per row. But in general, the orientation for all panels is the same and you don't cover multiple rows with one output. At least that is my current conclusion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by munu View Post
    @gassy, I realized that the panels in the lower part also have the arrows pointing down and to the left. So I think the #3 connection wouldn't even work. I guess I could rotate the lower panels by 180 degrees but then I have the up and down arrow going against each other. So maybe after all I did it right and you just use one output for each octoscroller for one row or panels. And if the display is really big so that one output doesn't cover one row of panels (too many pixels) then you start using multiple outputs per row. But in general, the orientation for all panels is the same and you don't cover multiple rows with one output. At least that is my current conclusion.
    You could go either way. Each panel has a JIN and JOUT connector. You need to align your panels to daisy chain through each panel to the next.
    Octoscroller --> Panel 1 JIN, JOUT -->Panel 2 JIN, JOUT -...-> Panel X JIN

So, you need to either rotate your lower panels (then you'd have to make a custom cable) or, like gassy said, use a 2nd output of the controller. If you mount your octoscroller in the middle, your cables can reach both rows.
    Each port can control up to 8 panels. The orientations don't really matter because you specify the orientation in your LED Panel FPP settings. Unless you plan on expanding your setup, you have plenty of outputs. But, the more you put on a port, the lower the refresh rate you get.