Default Pi FPP and espixelstick question

Total Noobie here.

I have the following:

• 4 espixels (actually MCUnodes with espixelstick v3 firmware);
    • I also have pi 3b+ configured as ffp;
    • 4 50 pixel 12v, 2811 strings;
    • I have a linksys router (not home router) N600 model 2500; and
    • My home router/modem is an Arris.

I can successfully set up pi to run 1 espixel over home network. I would like to run 4 espixels with the pi (as an fpp) on a separate network, with each espixel running a 50 pixel string.

I am struggling to set us multiple espixels on separate show network.

I have been search for guidance by have not found a answer.

Can someone direct me to a resource that can guild me?

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pi FPP and espixelstick question

jchuchla has done some writeups on how to tune a wifi network to support a lot of data.

2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/MartinMueller2003

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gatoruss View Post
    Total Noobie here.

I have the following:

• 4 espixels (actually MCUnodes with espixelstick v3 firmware);
    • I also have pi 3b+ configured as ffp;
    • 4 50 pixel 12v, 2811 strings;
    • I have a linksys router (not home router) N600 model 2500; and
    • My home router/modem is an Arris.

I can successfully set up pi to run 1 espixel over home network. I would like to run 4 espixels with the pi (as an fpp) on a separate network, with each espixel running a 50 pixel string.

I am struggling to set us multiple espixels on separate show network.

I have been search for guidance by have not found a answer.

Can someone direct me to a resource that can guild me?

Thanks in advance.
    I think you need to be a little more specific. What problems are you encountering with the network?

Post Thanks / Like

I am trying to configure the show router. I thought that I should be able to set it up like shown of page 112 of FPP manual - screen shot below. But I cannot access espixelsticks.

Screenshot_20211202-201409_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

In the configuration In my prior post, is the pi connected to the router (ap) via the router's Wan port or one of the ethernet ports?

Post Thanks / Like

Are you trying to access them from your PC? You would need to connect to your show router on your PC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I cannot access router, pi or espixels from PC when logged onto the show router.

I guess the first issue I am having is configuring the show show network correctly.

I should be able to set the linksys n600 e2500 router to bridge mode (or wireless bridge mode). Per some online research I am led to believe that the bridge mode essentially makes the router an access point. But in order to configure in bridge mode, the documentation suggests the linksys router should be connected via Ethernet cable to my main home router -- but that is inconsistent with what I understood the FPP manual to suggest (see screen shot in my post above).

I cannot seem to be able to find any documentation explaining how to configure the pi, router/AP and multiple espixelsticks.

Am I on the right track?
    Last edited by gatoruss; 12-03-2021 at 10:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I got it set up. Will test in morning.

In case any one else looking for help setting up separate network, the youtube videos referenced in this thread (http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...re+show+router were exactly what I needed.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope you are not trying to let your light show share the same network with your home network with internet connection. Best is to isolate light network by itself. Get another router, rename the wifi SSID to your light show SSID. Connect to that wifi using a computer better if the computer has network cable (remember you will not be able to connect to the internet through this computer), make sure that you configure the router settings like LAN to ensure that it is able to function as a DHCP, note the gateway IP as you might need it to connect to the router if there are issues.

On the WIFI settings, configure the security settings and note the SSID and password. Then use this to flash your PixelStick, then it should connect to the network if everything is okay. Check the IP address it is given, use the computer to connect to PixelStick and configure it. I hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pi FPP and espixelstick question [SOLVED]

Thank you, atairu. I was trying for a separate show network.

Last night I came across this thread, and the youtube videos linked in those threads were exactly what I needed (see links below). The videos explain in detail how to do what you describe.

Networking and IP addressing explained

Networking PI and FPP Setup

These videos helped me:

• Configure router as separate show router
    • Configure Pi as FPP
    • Configure Pi as bridge between show network and home network
    • Add espixelstick to show network thru wifi
    • Set up persistent route on my laptop so that I can access show network from laptop

I am posting the links above in case someone searching for help configuring network for espixelsticks comes across this thread.

Later this morning, I hope to finish adding add my first sets (4) of pixel strings to my house decorations.

Thanks again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast