Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad Pixels

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bad Pixels

I had a strand that had pixels working and then the rest didnít work. Forgot that you should replace the working one and the one after. So I replaced only the bad one. Of course the working pixels moved down the line 1. So I replaced the next one. Now it moved down the line again. Whatís up? What should I replace?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dave-3000Px-20KLts

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Bad Pixels

It looks to me that when a pixel is repaired and when it let open the path of the electricity, it kills the following one...From a LED perspective, it is like a diode, if it is crossed bay electricity through the wrong pins, it dies and stop the electric path...Is it possible that LEDs were mounted wrongly?
    I am saying that as I ordered pixels from different manufacturers and I realized that the arrows were not oriented the same way for some strings...

Post Thanks / Like

I think you meant to replace the dead one and the one after. Many folks do that, I do not. Usually the first one in a string is bad (usually due to user error) and the rest are fine. Once in a great while you will see a bad one somewhere in a string, but that is pretty rare.
    Which direction is DI on the string in your pic?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bad Pixels

Data in is down. I have always been told in this situation where the rest of the string isnít lit to replace the last one that lights and the next one. This is because the first could have a problem passing data downstream and the second could be a bad led or chip. You canít tell which is the problem.

I described the start incorrectly. When I pulled this out of my cabinet it was already cut with the ďold pixelĒ taped to it. I do not remember what I was planning on doing. So I got another donor strand, tested it and took the first pixel and replaced the cut one. That moved the unlit pixels downstream one pixel. So I replaced the first unlit pixel. It moved downstream one pixel again. So now what do I do?

Also this strand is at least 2-3 years old.

Dave-3000Px-20KLts

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a tension at the end of the string?
    Either there is a data in issue or a tension issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ols View Post
    Is there a tension at the end of the string?
    Either there is a data in issue or a tension issue.
    No. These lay on the ground. I just need to understand what I can do to fix this string.

Dave-3000Px-20KLts

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ols View Post
    It looks to me that when a pixel is repaired and when it let open the path of the electricity, it kills the following one...From a LED perspective, it is like a diode, if it is crossed bay electricity through the wrong pins, it dies and stop the electric path...Is it possible that LEDs were mounted wrongly?
    I am saying that as I ordered pixels from different manufacturers and I realized that the arrows were not oriented the same way for some strings...
    Missed quoting this one. These were working until last year when I replaced the string with a new one to get the show running again quickly.

Dave-3000Px-20KLts

Post Thanks / Like

So these are 3 years old and you are patching in new pixels?
    If this is the case, it could be a timing issue.
    Pixels over the years have changed a bit and some controllers had to be updated to support the different speeds. (Sandevices E682).
    You could try taking the last pixel in the old string and put that one in the place of suspected bad one, that way you are replacing with pixels from same string and date purchased.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bad Pixels

Quote Originally Posted by DrNeutron View Post
    So these are 3 years old and you are patching in new pixels?
    If this is the case, it could be a timing issue.
    Pixels over the years have changed a bit and some controllers had to be updated to support the different speeds. (Sandevices E682).
    You could try taking the last pixel in the old string and put that one in the place of suspected bad one, that way you are replacing with pixels from same string and date purchased.
    Hmm ok except I am using pixels from another bad string from the same era. They were tested as a single pixel and worked before splicing in. Could that still be a timing issue? I replaced another strand from a brand new string purchased last year and it works in the middle of the old pixels though. It is a 50px 12volt string in the middle of 450 pixel string.

One more thing: all my pixels are from DIYLEDExpress.

Last edited by davdue; 12-02-2021 at 01:22 AM.
    Dave-3000Px-20KLts

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bad Pixels

Iím still confused. I gave up on that string and tried to fix another one that had a problem where the rest of the pixels did not work. I cut out the lady working one and the next one. I tested the two pixels that I was using as replacements. They worked fine. In the picture below the data is flowing left to right. The last pixel working just moved to the right one pixel. The pixels below are the old ones. The one with blue tape worked and the one after it did not as well as the rest in the string. The solder splices are beside the alligator clips if you canít see it. I need to get something fixed since I donít have any new spares. Whatís up doc?

Dave-3000Px-20KLts

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast