Thread: Mounting server power supply in an enclosure

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mounting server power supply in an enclosure

I have a server power supply that i'm going to use for powering my 12v pixels. It's a nice 60amp. I was hoping to mount it in a cg-2000 enclosure ideally vertically. With other CG enclosures and other power supplies, usually either a mounting plate or even a piece of plexiglass or wood could be attached to the box, and the power supply could use either mounting screws, zip ties etc to attach it to the plate or hardware. With this server power supply, there isn't any holes on the bottom or sides for mounting, and no notches or anything for zip ties to grip. It's usually meant to slide in and out of a rack with a click in mechanism. Putting it vertically, it's not the kind of thing you want sliding down and the live contacts resting on the entry/exit points. Just wondering if anyone else has mounted these server supplies in a vertical enclosure and how they mounted or secured it?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Mounting server power supply in an enclosure

I used window screen retainers attached to a Dollar Store cutting board. 2nd year of use and holding fine.
    20211129_172218.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kenoman742 View Post
    I used window screen retainers attached to a Dollar Store cutting board. 2nd year of use and holding fine.
    20211129_172218.jpg
    Two questions:
    - what did you use to fasten it to the board? I see 4 pieces but can't make out
    -you have it flipped over face down? There was a little sticker that looked like a heat warning on the top near the power input so I assumed it needed venting.

Post Thanks / Like

It is attached with deck screws through the retainers. No, it's not face down. The fan is toward the bottom and I drilled out the case to allow air flow. The small power supply beside it is a 5 volt to run a remote Pi. I haven't had any heat problems with it. The Remote Pi and Falcon F4V2 controller are in a separate enclosure.

Post Thanks / Like

I do something similar but with a couple of strips of aluminum. I cut about one inch wide and maybe 8 to 10 inch long pieces of aluminum from some stock I have laying around and bend it in the vise with a hammer. I get to to fit snug but not tuff to just slide in and stay put. I then droll holes through Them and backplate. I use a nylon standoffs between backplate and bracelets to give airflow around psu. Than snap supply in place. I can add pics later.

PSU.jpg
    PSU2.jpg
    PSU3.jpg
    Last edited by rayhjr; 11-30-2021 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Added pics

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rayhjr View Post
    I do something similar but with a couple of strips of aluminum. I cut about one inch wide and maybe 8 to 10 inch long pieces of aluminum from some stock I have laying around and bend it in the vise with a hammer. I get to to fit snug but not tuff to just slide in and stay put. I then droll holes through Them and backplate. I use a nylon standoffs between backplate and bracelets to give airflow around psu. Than snap supply in place. I can add pics later.

PSU.jpg
    PSU2.jpg
    PSU3.jpg
    I do the same thing, but I add an extra 1/4 height and attach a 1/4" foam rubber pad to the top of the bracket with spray 77 contact glue. Tighten it down slightly and it does'nt slip.