Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pixels Staying Red

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pixels Staying Red

I had 9 pixels that wouldn't work on my bedroom window outline. I had them connected to one port on my Kulp K8-PB at the end of two other elements. So output when from the controller to my bow window, 160 pixels, then to my door outline, 112 pixels, and then to my bedroom 120 pixels. The last 9 never worked when they were connected this way. However if I connected just the bedroom window to another port, which was setup for 244 pixels, they worked no problem. I am injecting power at the end of my bedroom window, so pixel 120 there and I didn't inject when testing on the alternate port. I also tried moving all 3 props to another port on my controller with the same results.

I checked all of the channels, even did a sanity check with the Xlights team on a zoom call, and even though they worked with the alternate port we were thinking it was a pixel issue. So the first of those 9 wasn't sending the data, but that still seemed weird to me.

Now tonight, the second night of my show, those same 9 pixels are illuminated red and don't change. Any ideas? I was set to replace all 9 just in case but didn't get to it just yet.
    I thought about removing the PI wire to see if they started working too but haven't tested that just yet either.

Thanks,
    -Russ

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pixels Staying Red

Did you try bumping up the pixel count on that port to at least 410 in the software? It worked when the sequencer thought you had more pixels than you really did.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought about that but figured it would negatively affect some of the effects / sequences.

The way the windows are in flights the number of pixels on top & bottom & sides are specified. If I just added 9 wouldnít that cause other issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely it will screw up your sequence, but this is debug.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pixels Staying Red

Ah okay. Iíll give it a shot tomorrow. I did triage with the lights zoom folks and when we tested in fpp by adding pixels vis channels it would jump to the next prop on the controller. Might be similar concept but itís definitely worth a try.

Weird that they were red tonight too. Seemingly as if they all of a sudden got some data but never got a signal to turn off after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by rsegreto; 11-27-2021 at 11:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I probably shouldn't say absolutely. It's possible it fixes it, and if that's the case then you've got garbage on your port at the end in your Xlights layout.

Post Thanks / Like

Rule of thumb is that you inject power for every 100 pixels @12v. Also, the total pixels on your 3 props must equal the number of pixels assigned to that port. What is the distance from your controller to your first prop in that run?

Post Thanks / Like

392 pixels, and you injected once at the opposite end. It's possible that is not enough.

Here's how I would test: first, increase the pixel count assigned to the port to be more than what you're supposed to have. If they're not red anymore, you're got a port mismatch problem. But if they're still red (and especially intermittently red), then next try lowering the brightness. By a lot. If that fixes it, it's the power injection. Start by moving the injection point to the beginning of your bedroom window, instead of the end.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I should have added more detail. That is not my only PI run for this string of props. I'm actually running these of their own 12v 29A PSU at them moment so I have V- & DI going from the controller to the first pixel in my bay window. I'm injecting power at 1 and again at 160, so the beginning and the end of the bow window. Then I have another PI at the last pixel of my bedroom window which would be number 392 in the chain. I chose those PI spots after running it through the Spiker lights calculator.

Additionally I'm running the lights at 30% brightness which still leads me to believe that it's not a power issue. The first pixel is about 15 feet from the controller and I'm not having an issue until 9 pixels from the end of the chain. I do have F-Amps that I could use, bought them just in case, but wasn't sure that would even help since the 111 pixels before these red ones are receiving data with no issues.

I could move the PI to the beginning, but I thought rule of thumb was to always PI at the end no? At least I think that's what I got from Bill Porters presentation. But if it works it works!! hah

Post Thanks / Like

I think Bill Porter said to always start with PI. I don't think you can lower brightness much more below 30%, so PI might not be the problem. The nice thing about injecting at the end is that you can put in a different DC12V supply but still share the same power line; which actually goes against what he presented. You actually want the voltage drop in that situation.

We test our data lines in the lab all the time simply by sticking 50-pixel strings on the ports, even though the ports are configured for 500 pixels. Same principle: configure Xlights/FPP for 500, even though your hardware is only 392. If the last 9 are flashing now, then your data packets were too short.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast