Thread: Wiring power injection to a fuse block

Post Thanks / Like

Question Wiring power injection to a fuse block

I understand power injection, but I have one question. Does the power injection wire get it's own fuse, or would it use the same fuse in the fuse block?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Wiring power injection to a fuse block

Quote Originally Posted by JackOfManyMasterOfSome View Post
    I understand power injection, but I have one question. Does the power injection wire get it's own fuse, or would it use the same fuse in the fuse block?
    When u say "same fuse block" are u referring to the on board fuse? In short, PI does need its own fuse seperate from the control board output fuses IMO. I purchased a seperate fuse block with 12 individually fused circuits to use for my PI. The blocks come in different sizes. Amazon has some good ones.

Post Thanks / Like

It would definitely get it's own fuse, rule of thumb I'd say is fuse everything! How you fuse it completely up to you. I chose to use blocks to make the wiring neater and make it easier to attach multiple wires to the same fuse port. Sometimes depending on the gauge of the wire, you may exceed the recommended amps for the wire before the fuse size you chose if you're injecting for a long run of pixels.

With the block you're also able to run a single line from your PSU, of a larger gauge, and then run multiple PI runs to your pixels from there. Nothing wrong with in-line fuses either but I think the blocks are worth the little extra cost.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you both for your reply. I set it up for 2 separate slots in the fuse block with 10 amp fuses each for 300 12v pixels. I calculated 9 amps for each 150 pixels. I carried the ground from the pixel stick v out back to the same ground on the fuse block as the first line. Does this all sound correct?

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on the pixel. I measured mine initially and came up with .3 watts per pixel, white, 100% bright. So .3/12v=.025A x 150=3.75A. But again, it depends on the pixel and length/ gauge of the wire you use, (voltage drop) and color/brightness used. 9A sounds a bit high but not really that bad from a planning perspective, gives a bit of wiggle room maybe and can lead to less load on controller.