Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dead esPixelStick?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Dead esPixelStick?

I have been working on my pixel lights setting up the power supply and pixel stick in a waterproof box with fuse block etc. I was doing this with power supply unplugged. Before trying to hook up the lights to the power supply I turned everything on again. No lights, couldn't connect to the pixel sticks web browser. Went to reflash it, wouldn't communicate. Reset it with the reset button. No blue light anymore, even while trying to flash. The flash times out trying to recognize the chip. I'm selecting the USB com port. Is it truly dead? Am I missing something?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Dead esPixelStick?

Quote Originally Posted by JackOfManyMasterOfSome View Post
    I have been working on my pixel lights setting up the power supply and pixel stick in a waterproof box with fuse block etc. I was doing this with power supply unplugged. Before trying to hook up the lights to the power supply I turned everything on again. No lights, couldn't connect to the pixel sticks web browser. Went to reflash it, wouldn't communicate. Reset it with the reset button. No blue light anymore, even while trying to flash. The flash times out trying to recognize the chip. I'm selecting the USB com port. Is it truly dead? Am I missing something?
    Do you have an authentic EspixelStick or home brew ?

Post Thanks / Like

Authentic bought on Amazon.

Post Thanks / Like

did the onboard fuse blow ?

Post Thanks / Like

I checked that and the fuse looks good. What's even more weird is windows sees it when I plug it in to a USB port. I can see it in the devices list. I remove the board on the top when trying to flash it.

Post Thanks / Like

Can you see it in device manager ?

Post Thanks / Like

Try a different port and see if it is still recognized .
    Try a different usb cable .
    Pinch the usb and usb connection on board tightly during boot and flash.
    These connectors do not like to be manhandled and can get loose or even pop right out if looked at sideways .
    Last edited by angus40; 11-26-2021 at 12:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried different USB ports, and the port number would change in the flash tool. It would still error out at the spot where it detects the chip.

Connecting........_____....._____....._____.....__ ___....._____....._____....._____
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "bin/upload.py", line 19, in <module>
    esptool.main(sys.argv)
    File "G:/Programs/ESPixelStick_Firmware-3.2/ESPixelStick_Firmware-3.2/bin/esptool\esptool.py", line 2883, in main
    esp = ESPLoader.detect_chip(each_port, initial_baud, args.before, args.trace)
    File "G:/Programs/ESPixelStick_Firmware-3.2/ESPixelStick_Firmware-3.2/bin/esptool\esptool.py", line 274, in detect_chip
    detect_port.connect(connect_mode)
    File "G:/Programs/ESPixelStick_Firmware-3.2/ESPixelStick_Firmware-3.2/bin/esptool\esptool.py", line 483, in connect
    raise FatalError('Failed to connect to %s: %s' % (self.CHIP_NAME, last_error))
    esptool.FatalError: Failed to connect to Espressif device: Timed out waiting for packet header
    Done

Post Thanks / Like

Try grounding GPio 0 while loading firmware.

Post Thanks / Like

Do I just ground that to my power supply?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast