Thread: Age old Question - Unicast or Multicast for WIFI?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Age old Question - Unicast or Multicast for WIFI?

Hi,
    Just seeking clarification.
    Running FPP and Espixel stick. V3.2 Last year it appeared the consensus was to run Multicast to reduce lag.

Is this still the case? My display runs the same settings as last year with Multicast. I've changed the Megatree and Matrix to WLED (as ESPixelstick 3.2 can't do multi pin and I get a message it won't let me assign more than 6 universes per controller on Espixelstick 4.3) and using Unicast because FFP couldn't see the controller on the controller page when using Multicast. This means the Matrix has more lag in it than last year even though I upgraded from a D1 mini to ESP32 using 2 pins.

I thought I would get some feed back before I fiddle with the settings.
    Last edited by townshend lights; 11-25-2021 at 05:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Age old Question - Unicast or Multicast for WIFI?

9 universe max is a bug. For ESP32 it should be 18. I will get this fixed tomorrow. The ESP32 can do a total of 3000 pixels, I suggest you dump E1.31 and use an SD card on the ESP with the ESP running as an FPP remote.

2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/MartinMueller2003

Post Thanks / Like

I would like that but I can't get my ESP32 to see the SD card Shield I'm using. Or should I say ESP4 couldn't see it.
    sdcard shield.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

You need to know what GPIOs the card is using. Can you send a link to the device description?

2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.

Post Thanks / Like

It's one I bought locally here in New Zealand. https://www.jaycar.co.nz/micro-sd-ca...92a217c966f2db
    It doesn't have much on the website. CS is on D8 which makes it Io5 That the default in ESP4 right?

Thanks for taking a look.
    I'm using pins Io4 and Io16 for the lights if that helps on the D1mini ESP32

Post Thanks / Like

What part of New Zealand? I visit Wellington on occasion.

Please place a link to the ESP that you have.

Post Thanks / Like

Hawkes Bay, only 4 hours away from Wellington.

Here's that link. Thanks again.
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketpl...1?bof=qJ7SCnDX