Thread: Hello All New to the site and Christmas lighting

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hello All New to the site and Christmas lighting

Hello all

I am new to site and Christmas lighting. I have good knowledge with linux, home assistant, and WLED. I am start out with a new install for holiday lighting and projection shows. I want to blend the 2 together for a great viewing show.

My question is has anyone developed a docker image to run FPP on an arm device? I see there is one for X86 but would like to run a docker on raspberry pi. I am not knowledgeable enough to build a docker image myself. With some help I would like to be able to do this.

Thank you for reading
    Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Hello All New to the site and Christmas lighting

fpp runs nativly on the pi. there is no reason you cant make a docker image for it, but why?

2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/MartinMueller2003

Post Thanks / Like

It would be easier to build/rebuild and test. I could run it on usb or ssd on my pi and take advantage of faster read write speeds. Guess if I want a docker for the pi I'm going to have to read up on building a docker container from scratch. I have never built my own docker container. I have always used others prebuilt dockers.
    Last edited by HAJunkie; 12-03-2021 at 10:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

by definition an image running in a docker has slower reads writes and network access. it is too simple to use a pi to bother getting fpp into a docker

2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/MartinMueller2003