Thread: Temporary Connection

Post Thanks / Like

Default Temporary Connection

My show is coming together after several missteps along the way. I'm just waiting on a few more supplies before putting everything outside. I still have to wire up the power injection, but I don't have any pigtails or anything for quick and easy disconnecting once it comes time to put things away. I want to be sure to do that next year, though, so I would prefer not to make permanent connections this year.

Are there any reusable, waterproof wire connectors that you would recommend for connecting power wires? I have 18 gauge 2 core thermostat wire to supply the power. Any reason I shouldn't use that?

I really appreciate the help from this forum with my many questions!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Temporary Connection

If it's temporary, there's no reason you can't just use wire nuts.

There's two reasons to have waterproof connections. First is to prevent shorts between the conductors. Airspace does a great job in doing that. So simply not having the splices bundled tightly together so they're sitting in the same pocket of water is good enough for a while. The second is to prevent corrosion between the wires you're splicing together. This takes a longer time to experience any problems. You'll probably be fine for a season with no protection against that. But if you're going to use something simple like wire nuts, a bit of dielectric grease in the nut should prevent the corrosion for quite a while, both by displacing water and preventing contact with the air.

Scotchlocks are also a decent option. Many people swear by them despite the fact that they're designed for solid wire. They may not make the most solid connection to stranded pixel wire.

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't thermostat wire great? I'm using 8 core.

Power injection was a lot of work. Need some method to safeguard against accidentally reversing the leads, because that bug is a bad one to make. Ugh

Post Thanks / Like

Kevin