Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Esp32 and multiple channels on espixelstick

Post Thanks / Like

Default Esp32 and multiple channels on espixelstick

Hi guys,

I did have a discussion on GitHub, but better placed here. My goal is to run a 24x48 (1152) grid off a esp32, so I bought a generic one and wired the grid into two halves 24x24 each and ran off two pins. LEDs are 12v and distance to the grid from the esp is pretty short, maybe 1ft or so for the first data line but 4ft for the second side. No matter what I do, I get unwanted flashing on the second half, I’ve added a level shifter changed wires, changed output pins, spent so much time I gave up and decided to run the whole grid off 1 output and works fab
    Now I’ve been having one of my usual crap sleep thinking about my lights and the million tasks still to do, including unicast (currently using) vs multicast, then started to think is running off one pin going to cause problems with the refresh rate? Running espixelstick 4 beta 4.
    I don’t recall at present but I don’t recall a timer to show the refresh rate of 1152 pixels on a single pin on a esp32, but in unicast if this has to ack and is running slower than everything else am I walking into issues?
    Wondering if I should try a esp32cam with sd card reader on them (seems easier?)
    Sorry for the long message and brain dump after I’ve been awake an hour ;(
    TLDR help
    Mat

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Esp32 and multiple channels on espixelstick

do you inject power at every 50 or 100 pixles

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

If I swap the output from first half to second half works perfect, not a power injection issue

Post Thanks / Like

Does your generic board have gnd pins that are gpio specific . Some of these 32 - 38 pin boards have gnd pins on either side for each sides gpio or power .

Should have added , the best Esp32 generic boards I have found are the D1 mini's.
    Last edited by angus40; 11-25-2021 at 05:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I can only see 2 grounds, one each side, however when I tried a different pin, it was on the same side as the one that does work

Post Thanks / Like

Either ground will work. You can fanout V- near the ESP and all will be fine. As for your flickering, where did you locate the level shifter? It needs to be within 10cm of the GPIO pin. The level shifter needs to be powered by at least 5v and the V- and data (V+ is optional) out of the level shifter need to go to your distant pixels.

Putting 1152 pixels on a single string reduces the refresh rate to about 49ms.

Martin

2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/MartinMueller2003

Post Thanks / Like

Yep I have a 12v down to 5v to run the esp which is then powering the level shifter all in the same box. V- I did not connect as all running off a single psu so don’t see how ground would move (same with the half that works)

49ms.. 20fps.. but will it create network lag in unicast?

Post Thanks / Like

You should never use unicast over WiFi. The timing variations are horrible.

YES IT MATTERS what you do with V-. The best situation is V- and data twisted around each other. V- from the PSU has additional voltage drop that makes it unreliable as a data reference signal.

V- AND Data from the buffer to the first pixel give the least chance for noise and problems in that part of the circuit.

2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.

Post Thanks / Like

V- from level shifter or esp? May have to hack again and see what happens. I’ve used unicast last 5 years, so far been ok, but more pixels this year but not a brill router for multicast, think it a linksys

Post Thanks / Like

V- and Data from the data source (Data buffer) should (imo must) go to the data destination (first pixel). In this case the level shifter is the data source so: You are correct V- and Data from the level shifter go to the first pixel in the string. In addition you may (if you want) run V- and V+ from the PSU and attach (inject) them to the first pixel but it is also fine to inject elsewhere in the string. It is important that the signal V- and the Data V- travel together (aka the V- and Data coming out of the level shifter).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast