Thread: Corro plastic questions

Post Thanks / Like

Question Corro plastic questions

Hello,
    So I was looking at cutting out my own corroplastic decorations.
    Questions:
    1) 4mm or 10mm...locally I can only get 4mm including from home Depot.
    2) cut plastic close to the size of the design? Or leave it a square.
    2b) If you cut a square do you reenforce with a frame?

Bonus question for 2 points:
    What gauge wire used to splice in when you have to reach to another hole on the panel? 5v pixel strings I'll be using, too bad the don't sell a bulk roll for the strands you buy.

Thanks in advance.

Tim

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Corro plastic questions

Quote Originally Posted by byrnet13 View Post
    Hello,
    So I was looking at cutting out my own corroplastic decorations.
    Questions:
    1) 4mm or 10mm...locally I can only get 4mm including from home Depot. 4mm is fine for most applications, have you tried a local Sign Shop for both the 4mm and 10mm sheets
    2) cut plastic close to the size of the design? Or leave it a square. I usually cut mine close to the size of the design, but sometimes I leave it square. It depends on how I am mounting it.
    2b) If you cut a square do you reenforce with a frame? With 4mm a frame is a good idea. I will use 1/2" PVC pipe

What gauge wire used to splice in when you have to reach to another hole on the panel? 5v pixel strings I'll be using, too bad the don't sell a bulk roll for the strands you buy.

Thanks in advance.

Tim

Thanks
    See responses in RED above
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2019 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2020 - Emergency Conversion to Falcon F48 with limited wireless

Post Thanks / Like

I just made my first custom character. I found that the Plas-tex from Home Depot worked well. The only thing I would do differently is to get an actual 12mm bit. I used a 3/8 inch spade bit, which worked well, but the slightly small size of the hole made pushing in the pixels rather painful.

I plan to leave it square-ish for a frame, but primarily because I don't think I would cut a very good outline of my character...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TomL8345 View Post
    See responses in RED above
    Thanks,
    Local sign shops use 4mm, they told me 10mm was special jobs. Maybe if I called some in a bigger city...but I might just go with 4mm for now. Home Depot has it under $25.00 for a full sheet.
    Thanks,
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oyarsa View Post
    I just made my first custom character. I found that the Plas-tex from Home Depot worked well. The only thing I would do differently is to get an actual 12mm bit. I used a 3/8 inch spade bit, which worked well, but the slightly small size of the hole made pushing in the pixels rather painful.

I plan to leave it square-ish for a frame, but primarily because I don't think I would cut a very good outline of my character...
    I looked around for a 12mm bit or a set and didn't find any locally. I was surprised Harbor freight didn't have a set.
    I may check Amazon.
    Thanks
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by byrnet13 View Post

Thanks in advance.

Tim

Thanks
    Tim, Sorry I skipped the bonus question.

I use 18 AWG wires to splice between pixels to add length. That is the size most of my pixels CLAIM to use when I purchase them.

HTH
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2019 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2020 - Emergency Conversion to Falcon F48 with limited wireless

Post Thanks / Like

I did quite a bit of search for something in the 10mm range but no luck at HD, Lowes and other local stores. I think I also checked McMaster, etc. Not much online without expensive shipping. I came to the conclusion that either just go with something like 4mm, clue two 4mm together or use 4mm with some support. I still have to build a coro prop but I just wanted to share my experience so far.