Thread: Vertical Meter Effect on Candy Canes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vertical Meter Effect on Candy Canes

Hello Folks, I am working on adding 99 pixel Chroma candy canes into a display. I have some time using Vixen but I am struggling with some of the Horizontal vs Vertical effects. I have the props imported with the same layout (as far as I know) that the pixel 1 is on the bottom of the cane, then goes up in two rows and comes down the third so that both ends of the strings end up at the bottom of the prop. The prop is setup with one group of all 99 pixels. When I try to add a meter effect, the effect will travel up the string as if it was in a straight line, vs the three columns that shows in the display preview. If I group multiple canes and add the effect, the effect will spread out over the group, but will travel right to left instead of vertical, and will act like the canes are one really long linked string.

I've looked around the forum and I can't seem to find anyone that has had this issue, so I assume I am doing something wrong, or have an issue with needing sub groups in the prop. Thank you in advance for anyone that can help.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Vertical Meter Effect on Candy Canes

Quote Originally Posted by nbrams View Post
    Hello Folks, I am working on adding 99 pixel Chroma candy canes into a display. I have some time using Vixen but I am struggling with some of the Horizontal vs Vertical effects. I have the props imported with the same layout (as far as I know) that the pixel 1 is on the bottom of the cane, then goes up in two rows and comes down the third so that both ends of the strings end up at the bottom of the prop. The prop is setup with one group of all 99 pixels. When I try to add a meter effect, the effect will travel up the string as if it was in a straight line, vs the three columns that shows in the display preview. If I group multiple canes and add the effect, the effect will spread out over the group, but will travel right to left instead of vertical, and will act like the canes are one really long linked string.

I've looked around the forum and I can't seem to find anyone that has had this issue, so I assume I am doing something wrong, or have an issue with needing sub groups in the prop. Thank you in advance for anyone that can help.
    How do you have it patched?

Post Thanks / Like

The problem is that your prop is 1 group of 99 pixels. For the pixel effects to work in "strings mode" It expects the pixels to be grouped into logical strings. So within each candycane group, you should have 3 groups of 33 representing the 3 strings of the candycane. The fact that it's one physical string is irrelevant to the effects. It's how you set it up logically that matters here. The translation from logical to physical happens when you patch the prop to the channels.
    Since these strings go up and down, Vertical will be the appropriate option. This setting tells the effect how your strings are oriented in the prop.

Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to expand a bit on Jon's comment. Jon is right here that you need to group them into 3 groups representing 3 strings and those strings all need to start and be ordered from the bottom in the groups. The first pixel in each string is at the bottom of the prop. Then it starts to look like a skinny curves matrix. This allows all the effects to work in the orientation they expect and that will give you maximum use of the effects.

When you do this, then you will need to manage how you patch them so that those logical strings are patched to their physical locations in the controller. If you have them patched already from the straight though group, then you may not have to worry about it until you need to patch again if you need to change something. Then you may need to patch the middle string in reverse with the new grouping. So there are two aspects to getting it all working as you want.

There may be a custom model out there for it if it came from one of the vendors that provide them or are in the custom prop vendor tool. So you may be able to use a model that solves both of these by having the proper string groups and the patching order specified, or you can make your own in the prop editor.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the replies. I think I understand. I will work on it!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Vertical Meter Effect on Candy Canes

Quote Originally Posted by nbrams View Post
    Thank you for the replies. I think I understand. I will work on it!
    Ok. So I was able to get the vertical meter working properly (to start at the bottom of the cane, and travel up and around the hook top), but the only way I was able to get it to work properly was to setup 3 single string candy canes in the preview editor, and nest the three of them together so they look like the 99 pixel candy cane prop I have. (I havn't tested the physical pixels yet, but I believe I know how to patch them to assign the pixels properly in the patching) As far as I know it is the Boyscoyo 99 pixel candy cane, but I bought it from a vendor in Canada, and they emailed me an xlights model. I imported it, and in the prop editor they lay it out as a single string that starts in the bottom and criss crosses two rows up around the top, and straight down the third. Am I missing something? no matter how I group the single string, I can't seem to get the meter to do anything other then start at the pixel one on the beginning of the string and end at the 99. The wipe effect displays properly in preview (as if the pixels are in a grid). Thank you all for the replies, and I'm sorry that it's not clicking in here.

Post Thanks / Like

I loaded up the Boscoyo model and yes it imports as one group. I can take that and make a better model for you. Which way do you want the cane to point? The model has it up and to the left, but some may prefer up and to the right. How did you wire it? The model has a complex wiring path weaving back and forth. I think I inferred you wired a zig zag bottom to top, back down and then back to the top again. With that I can adjust and give you a model that will work and patch cleanly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffu231 View Post
    I loaded up the Boscoyo model and yes it imports as one group. I can take that and make a better model for you. Which way do you want the cane to point? The model has it up and to the left, but some may prefer up and to the right. How did you wire it? The model has a complex wiring path weaving back and forth. I think I inferred you wired a zig zag bottom to top, back down and then back to the top again. With that I can adjust and give you a model that will work and patch cleanly.
    Thank you, that would be great. But don't feel like you have to do that, I suspect you're busy this time of year. I did wire them as the model shows, but I will change them to make life easier. The zig zag seems like it is an easy way to have both ends terminate at the bottom of the prop. I have a custom prop made that is basically three single strand candy canes together, but I havn't patched it yet or tested it out.

Post Thanks / Like

I can rearrange these in my sleep so no worries.

Take a look in the Vendor browser in the custom prop editor. Under the Vixen User vendor, I added two versions. One that matches the original model as far as wire order that is marked standard. The zig zag is one that just runs it up and down, but the tail ends up at the top. You will want the standard if you followed the original model. Download that into the prop editor and save it. Then you should be able to import it in the preview. It will ask you to provide the identifier for it when you import so you can have more than one without naming clashes. I just use 1, 2, 3 etc for however many you have. Then you should also be able to patch it by selecting the top level group of the cane. If you import more than one, just patch each one individually and it will handle the order for you.

Let me know if that works.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffu231 View Post
    I can rearrange these in my sleep so no worries.

Take a look in the Vendor browser in the custom prop editor. Under the Vixen User vendor, I added two versions. One that matches the original model as far as wire order that is marked standard. The zig zag is one that just runs it up and down, but the tail ends up at the top. You will want the standard if you followed the original model. Download that into the prop editor and save it. Then you should be able to import it in the preview. It will ask you to provide the identifier for it when you import so you can have more than one without naming clashes. I just use 1, 2, 3 etc for however many you have. Then you should also be able to patch it by selecting the top level group of the cane. If you import more than one, just patch each one individually and it will handle the order for you.

Let me know if that works.
    Thank you very much! that's working great!