Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mega Tree Hints and examples

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Mega Tree Hints and examples

I used a small carabiner at the top of the pole to hold my light strings up. I thought that it was easier than hanging them over hooks. Plus, it will hold them in place even if the wires are loose and a big wind storm comes. You can easily place 10 or so strands in one of those cheap small keychain type carabiners that aren't made for climbing. It reduces that amount of hardware that needs to be fastened at the top of the pole.

Just a thought.

Post Thanks / Like

I have no idea what kind of tree I want to do this year. Could you guys post some stats and pics/videos of your trees? Stuff like how tall, # of channels, pics of your base, things like that.

Post Thanks / Like

My tree was 14' tall, 16 with star on top. The center pole was a piece of 1 1/4" conduit inside a piece of 1 1/2" conduit. Very rigid. Had 3 guy wires at the top. Made the topper myself, along with the 4 plane star. Made the base per the example shown on www.christmaslightshow.com. The diameter is about 7.5'. Used 3 colors, 16 channels per color, Blue, Red and Green. Here are a couple of pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of ChristmasLightshow.com, I "cheated" and bought some of his pre-fab parts for making my megatree out of 1-1/4" steel pipe. (http://www.christmaslightshow.com/xcart/home.php?cat=25) I picked up a 5-way cross, standard hook head, and pole pin, built a 15' tree. I cheated again, and weighted the base down instead of using guy wires. I got away with that this year, but next year I'll guy it.

I picked up a bunch of cable thimbles (like these: http://www.mcmaster.com/#aircraft-cable-thimbles/=acvxz), and zip tied the top of my lights around them before putting them on the hooks. The bottom of the lights were zip tied to a PVC hoop around the base. As others have mentioned, the strings stretched under their own weight, so they got pretty floppy before I got them down. (Which happened yesterday, so I cheat AND I'm lazy...)

Next year, I'll be adding more light strings to the tree, but I'm thinking of zip tying the strings to wire cables and using the cables to both support the weight of the strings and as guy lines for the tree. Any suggestions on what kind of cable to use for that? I assume coated, to reduce possible abrasion of the wire jacket on the light strings. Stranded vs. solid, does it matter? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: Mega Tree Hints and examples

Stranded will be a lot more flexible for storage, and will not suffer from bending fatigue. I wouldn't even consider solid.:-)

Post Thanks / Like

Nice setup Joel... Any night time pics, bet this looks nice at night

Post Thanks / Like

I'll add my 2 cents into how to make one:

A Simple Method to Build a Megatree
    Animating Your Megatree
    -Mike
    [URL="http://www.LandoLights.com"]www.LandoLights.com[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.sequencecenter.com"]www.SequenceCenter.com[/URL] --> Vixen/LOR Sequences and More

Post Thanks / Like

I could give you my opionion - but - I think I'll get images up soon!

Post Thanks / Like

I flew into Phoenix tonite and am stuck here for a while on a connection to Minneapolis, so I thought I'd go outside an look for Frank's tower. Lo' and behold, on the way to the observation deck I overheard some pilots talking about this "crazy guy who put up this gigantic tower for Christmas lights -- and he's right here in Phoenix!" They said the guy lives down in Ahwatukee...

Oh man, Frank, you're on the map now! You've got the pilots talking about you...

So I looked down your way from the airport and I could swear I saw you fiddling with the webcam atop the tower... that was you, wasn't it???

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store is closed for all sales. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the years!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    I flew into Phoenix tonite and am stuck here for a while on a connection to Minneapolis, so I thought I'd go outside an look for Frank's tower. Lo' and behold, on the way to the observation deck I overheard some pilots talking about this "crazy guy who put up this gigantic tower for Christmas lights -- and he's right here in Phoenix!" They said the guy lives down in Ahwatukee...

Oh man, Frank, you're on the map now! You've got the pilots talking about you...

So I looked down your way from the airport and I could swear I saw you fiddling with the webcam atop the tower... that was you, wasn't it???
    Depending on what way you looking.. its possible.... well, when flying

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast