Thread: How-to? Lighted grapevine balls?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How-to? Lighted grapevine balls?

For the past two years, this Town Center near where I live puts these grapevine balls out that have mini lights on them. They spread them all over the ground and they look pretty cool, and each ball is a solid color.
    Has anyone built or seen these before? I would like to make a bunch of them, but not sure how to getthe grapevine to stay round.

Lou

Post Thanks / Like

I did see something similar by googling them. It might be possible to make your own - I think you can obtain grapevine material at a craft store.

If you do try to make your own - I would suggest soaking them in hot water for a while to soften them up.

Post Thanks / Like

Frank-
    I may try yo make the, I did fing the grapevine at a craft store for pretty cheap.
    Thanks
    Lou

Post Thanks / Like

Default Grapevine Balls how to form them

Saw this post and band new here and to making computerized xmas shows. However not new to using grapevine. To form grapevine you need to soak it and make flexible. It flexes easy! shape it and then let it dry... DONE!
    If the vine does not move easily so much that it appears it may break, then wet it more. It will make a breaking or cracking sound, but if wet enough it will mold to what ever shape you desire. Most times you will buy it in rolls of 30-300' I have some here I almost threw away until I read this post. It cost $36 for 300 at a florist wholesaler... Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How-to? Lighted grapevine balls?

A friend of mine did some last year She blew up different size balloons wrapped the grapevine around the balloon then hung them in her storage shed to dry for a few weeks. She then popped the balloons and pulled the pieces out. She also did some out of honeysuckle and jasmine vine. ...then wrapped them in lights.

Post Thanks / Like

I could swear I've seen grapevine balls at Hobby Lobby and Michaels before. Also, to make the ornament balls hanging in my mega tree this year, I simply wrapped light strings around styrofoam balls.

It's funny I see this post because for next year, I plan on having either 50 or 100 light balls staked in the ground all over the yard to simulate snow. Each will be controlled by an individual channel allowing for some cool movement and light patterns at ground level.

Post Thanks / Like

If you can find someone who grows grapes near you, you might be able to score some while it's still green. It's a lot easier to work with.

Fountain Valley, CA (Orange County, So. Cal)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lbro View Post
    They spread them all over the ground and they look pretty cool, and each ball is a solid color.
    Has anyone built or seen these before? I would like to make a bunch of them, but not sure how to getthe grapevine to stay round.
    This probably isn't quite what you were looking for, but from a distance it sorta fits your description. If this is at least close to what you are looking for, I could try to write up something. Since it's just wire, you don't have to mess around with wet grape vine, etc.

don
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Click for display details >>
    web site: http://www.eShepherdsOfLight.com or http://www.facebook.com/eShepherdsOfLight
    technical articles: http://downloads.eshepherdsoflight.com

Post Thanks / Like

I like that Don, MAterial wasn't really the main issue. It just so happens that the ones I saw were graprvine.

Thanks
    Lou

Post Thanks / Like

We did cupballs or "sparkle balls" and tried wire balls and grapevine balls. We found Holispheres and love them. Much cheaper, a set of 3 cost less then one 14in grapevine ball. easy to assemlbe and wrpa the lights around them and they collapse for storage.