Thread: More than 1 port on cat5

Post Thanks / Like

Default More than 1 port on cat5

I am using GECE pixels and I am curious if I can use multiple pairs on the cat5 for data.
    I have been using WiFi modules but I am just not down for the timing issue this year.
    I have locations where 2 strands start and it would be nice to run just 1 cat5 cable to these locations.

I am running power separately.

Thanks,

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: More than 1 port on cat5

Really depends on what ur using the cat 5 for, i.e. controller to remote board? If so then no. If just using for the data signal from a controller output then should be fine IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

I gave up wifi after 1 year and went for Wired.

Would need to know more about the overall setup. In theory you could get 8 signals down a short length (though you need to pay attention to ground level too), for longer maybe go with RS485 modules each end to give a differential signal. This will enable you to send a digital signal reliably over a long distance. Each RS485 uses a pair of wires, I think some of the commercial controllers use these though equally you can make your own circuits.

Post Thanks / Like

True DMX uses RS485 as the media protocol. That is a two wire protocol so the 4 pairs in a CAT5 cable can carry up to 4 DMX ports from you controller to your DMX devices. You will need RJ45 breakout boards at each end to put the signals on the right wires and extract them at the other end. WARNING: The D+ and D- from a port MUST be on a pair of wires that are twisted around each other. If you use CAT6 then you can tie the shield on the source end to V-.

2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/MartinMueller2003

Post Thanks / Like

yes you can use multiple pairs on cat5 for data. I've got a setup where i run two strings of lights with power over cat5. One pair for the differential data for each string, and one pair for + and one pair for -. I use the J1Sys powered pixel extender boards to do this. But you could accomplish the same with the falcon based differential stuff using some custom cabling/adapters. (probably even off the shelf passive PoE breakouts if you choose the right pairs.)