Thread: Layer masking and filling question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Layer masking and filling question

Hey guys and gals,
    Sorry I'm a little rusty on the more advanced layer combinations to achieve certain things. In this particular case here is the situation: I have a pinwheel effect on default layer applied to whole house/display. So all the various pixels from different props are part of one giant pinwheel. I have two pixel columns each 60 pixels high, 3 wide on left and right of display setup in vixen as columns-->left column/right column. These columns are "playing notes" to match the song, so they have their own sequence effects for this section. With the pinwheel active on the rest of the display, the problem is that the pinwheel is mixing with the "notes" and turning it into a big mess. The "notes" need a blank canvas to standout.

So my thinking had been this. Pinwheel whole house effect on normal default layer. Then I applied a set level to the top of column left and column right and set it to mask. Playback shows so far so good, the pinwheel is on the whole house display, but the entire column is blank. So then I thought, I'll apply a mask and fill to the "notes" playing on the columns, thinking that should play on top of the mask as mask and fill is higher in the layer hierarchy. Sorry if this is awkward to explain. Picture painting over a color to blank it, then painting on top of that. No such luck, nothing shows at all in the columns still. Made sure mask and fill is a higher priority. Tried toggling the different mask and fill config just to see. Tried setting the notes to highest level/default layer. Thoughts?

PS: Tried changing the mask set level color to different things.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Layer masking and filling question

Just create another "whole house" grouping without the columns in that group.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Layer masking and filling question

Quote Originally Posted by Popo-B-Trippin View Post
    Just create another "whole house" grouping without the columns in that group.

Facepalm!!!. I was certain this was done with layers and could be...But that may be a far easier route lol.