Thread: LED Strip lighting up BACKWARDS

Post Thanks / Like

Default LED Strip lighting up BACKWARDS

I just received a shipment of LED strips from Ray. They are these models (http://aliexpress.com/item/32921423217.html). In the past I've used 5V 2812 and 2813 which are 3 wires. This is the first time I've used strips like these that have 4 wires, 2 data wires. Anyway I hooked up the whole strip to a Sandevices controller set to control 16 2811 pixels and when I do the the strip lights up from the end forward, like I have it configured as REVERSED. I do not. Actually when I test REVERSED it does not appear to do anything, it still lights up from the back. Note that like all strips this strip has arrows, which are supposed to show the direction. I also noticed that the data wire was hooked up to B0 instead of D0. I believe B0 is the Backup data wire and D0 is the Data wire. I'm not sure if this is the problem, but I've sent a email to Ray to see if he knows what's wrong.

So, have any of you seen this same problem? Would wiring data to the B0 lane cause this strangeness?

I believe these chips mirror data on the B0 wire to help in the case that a chip goes bad. Someone on the Falcon forum said I should connect the data wire to D0 and ignore the B0 wire.

I'm also going to attempt to upgrade my Sandevice controllers to the v5 firmware to see if that will help.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: LED Strip lighting up BACKWARDS

Actually the input should be the DI/BI end of the strip. If you connected the controller to the DO?BO end of the strip, you should not have gotten anything at all. For the first pixel you can attach DI and BI to Controller Data out.

2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/MartinMueller2003

Post Thanks / Like

turns out the problem WAS my older Sandevices firmware. Upgrading to the 5.0.30 firmware solved my problem. YEAH!

Post Thanks / Like

Szaske - Really curious about if you actually connected to the DO (as in Data Out) end.
    Live, Laugh, Love.