Thread: Networking/Sandevices guru please

Post Thanks / Like

Default Networking/Sandevices guru please

Hi all

It has been several years since I did Christmas lights as I have had a break.
    Back when I stopped, I had recently purchased a Sandevices E680 and built it but never used it.
    I am deciding now between changing to a Falcon controller or getting the Sandevices one working first to dip my toes in.

I am a bit of a novice when it comes to networking etc but I was wondering if someone wouldn't mind trying to make some suggestions to me to test this thing.

I have decided to change to a Raspberry pi, FPP and xlights and using my macbook to update my setup.

FPP has been setup on the raspberry pi 3 (wifi) and I have managed with an old windows laptop (as the macbook doesn't have any ports) to enter the web configuration page for the E680 and manually setup an ip address etc but when I connect raspberry pi to a network switch and try to setup the wifi ip address etc so I can access it remotely from my macbook, I cannot acess it. Nor does ping do anything from the channel outputs page of FPP

I have followed this tutorial http://www.brianhensley.net/2017/10/...ontroller.html and tried step 7 both from a mac and using a paralle version of windows 10 but it still isnt working. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    <a href="#" onclick="return(showhide(this));">Click here to show display details ...</a>
    <script language="javascript">function showhide(anc){ //
    // traverse forward from anchor to find hidable div:
    for(; ; ){ if(!anc.nextSibling) break; if(anc.nextSibling.nodeName == "DIV") break; anc = anc.nextSibling; }//
    var Y='block', N='none', det=anc.nextSibling; //
    //fall-back plan: use named div:
    if (!det) det=document.getElementById('details'); //
    //toggle visibility:
    det.style.display=(det.style.display!=N)?N:Y; //
    //prevent page refresh:
    return false;}</script><div id="details" style="display:none;">([IMG]https://2881648860440898350-a-1802744773732722657-s-sites.googlegroups.com/site/yatesfamilywebsite/vixensig192.gif?attachauth=ANoY7coHQlbVcJaFiMU4V7JrNBSM4FlneuPA5QnAmzyRC4M6ONTcEqu6GozeGHGOYkETW-mC5xdVPkBgjF99m4buHTlVn65IovMV_jE7YPpEpFmLr3xqJQCk6YFtxsPDmgPt3c9aoNUGPhIM7nutdxnyIpDK3fpqOH1IX3C-vZs8TYojcIGUdxQmuYNKMOCq5yMthsEMP0IBQRifQxDUJ8aNyh_5ypEzlw%3D%3D&attredirects=0[/IMG]
    3 x Grinch with DMX dimming converter and TigerDC48, LEDTRIKS in progress)</div>
    Now a supporting member. I decided it was time to give something back to the forum that has helped me so much.

Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before. What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Networking/Sandevices guru please

Im going through the exact same struggle as we speak. If I figure it out, Ill let you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    Im going through the exact same struggle as we speak. If I figure it out, Ill let you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Same here then. Best of luck.
    Can you access the sandevices page without the Pi?
    <a href="#" onclick="return(showhide(this));">Click here to show display details ...</a>
    for(; ; ){ if(!anc.nextSibling) break; if(anc.nextSibling.nodeName == "DIV") break; anc = anc.nextSibling; }//
    //toggle visibility:
    //prevent page refresh:
    return false;}</script><div id="details" style="display:none;">([IMG]https://2881648860440898350-a-1802744773732722657-s-sites.googlegroups.com/site/yatesfamilywebsite/vixensig192.gif?attachauth=ANoY7coHQlbVcJaFiMU4V7JrNBSM4FlneuPA5QnAmzyRC4M6ONTcEqu6GozeGHGOYkETW-mC5xdVPkBgjF99m4buHTlVn65IovMV_jE7YPpEpFmLr3xqJQCk6YFtxsPDmgPt3c9aoNUGPhIM7nutdxnyIpDK3fpqOH1IX3C-vZs8TYojcIGUdxQmuYNKMOCq5yMthsEMP0IBQRifQxDUJ8aNyh_5ypEzlw%3D%3D&attredirects=0[/IMG]
    3 x Grinch with DMX dimming converter and TigerDC48, LEDTRIKS in progress)</div>
    Now a supporting member. I decided it was time to give something back to the forum that has helped me so much.

Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before. What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more.

Post Thanks / Like

Could you go into a little more detail as to what your settings are and how they are connected?

My settings are as follows:
    FPP on rPi 3b+ ver. 4.6.1
    192.168.1.x is my home network
    192.168.0.x is my show network
    Notice the 3rd octet is different from home network. You can make that 3rd number anything you want from 0 to 254. Most common are 0, 1, 2, 3, 5, 10, 100. Just make sure it's different than your home network and make sure you remember it! Write it down. All of your show controllers, whether they be SanDevices, Falcon, FPP, etc will all be on that network.

Show router 192.168.0.1

rPi eth0: 192.168.0.100 ethernet connected to show router
    Netmask 255.255.255.0
    DNS: 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4 manual (These are the google DNS's, if you prefer another you can input it here, e.g. 1.1.1.1, 4.4.4.4. but on your show network it doesn't really matter)
    Gateway (show network gateway must be left blank)

rPi wlan0: 192.168.1.99 FPP wireless access to home network
    Netmask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.1.2 (address of home network router)
    WPA SSID: home network name (I'm not telling you mine, but it's pretty good)
    WPA PSK: home network password (None of your business)
    DNS: 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4 manual (See eth0 DNS, but here it matters)
    (I do NOT have "Enable Routing between network interfaces" checked. My controllers don't need internet access)

SanDevices E6804: 192.168.0.201
    SanDevices E682: 192.168.0.202
    BBB Fpp: 192.168.0.221
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With a fresh install of FPP on an rPi connected to the home network ethernet, FPP will default to DHCP. Find it on your network and access it via the ip address in your browser.
    First, setup the wireless. After you put in your "Interface Settings", Press the "Update Interface" button. Make sure you give it an IP Address outside the range of your home router DHCP range if possible.
    Enter "Host & DNS settings" then press "Update DNS".
    I can't remember, but it may require fpp to restart after each.

Reboot the pi. Keep it plugged into the home ethernet just in case the wlan settings didn't take or you made a mistake. I like to have the rPi hdmi plugged into a tv/monitor. Upon reboot, the FPP will post the IP Adresses on the screen. If you see the IP Address you used for the wlan0 setup posted on boot, that means it successfully configured the wlan0 connection. Try to access the FPP using that wlan0 address in your web browser. If you can, you can now unplug the ethernet. If not, access the FPP via the ethernet and verify your settings. Fix and try again.

Once you can access the FPP using the wifi connection, repeat the steps for the eth0 with your show network settings and connect it to your show network router. Remember, the show network gateway must be left blank.

If I remember correctly, you don't necessarily need a show router. As long as everything is manual IP settings, you can't just use a switch. The router just makes it extremely easy to access everything directly via the show router wifi or direct ethernet. Just use your laptop to login to the show network and you have direct access to all your controllers. Also, using a router with wifi, gives you the option to use an rPi or BBB FPP as remote controllers. ***I know the SanDevices controllers, especially the older ones have trouble with the FPP Proxy access due to the way the SanDevices send the http packets. So it's helpful to access them directly sometimes for setup.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Cmndr Brain; 10-21-2021 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Corrections, clarification

Post Thanks / Like

I will it not for a few days. A couple of night shifts and life events to get past first.
    I'll respond similarly to your post.
    //toggle visibility:
    //prevent page refresh:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    I will it not for a few days. A couple of night shifts and life events to get past first.
    I'll respond similarly to your post.
    No worries. I'm out of town and unable to turn on my controllers so, I can't get to those settings. Maybe when your ready, I'll have access to those settings if you need more help.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey
    So. My settings are
    Fpp on RPi 3b+ ver. 4.6.1
    192.168.15.x is my home network
    192.268.2.x is my show network

No separate show router at this stage as I am trying to get it all to function first
    Rpi etho: 192.268.2.0
    Netmask 255.255.255.0
    Gateway blank

Rpi wlan: 192.168.15.20
    Netmask: 192.168.25.16 same as home network

SanDevices E680: 169.254.74.73 when connected directly computer to ether net cable to controller as per manual
    Controller ip then changed to
    SanDevices 680: ip 192.168.2.50
    Subnet 255.255.255.0
    Gateway 192.168. 2.0 same as Fpp eth0 address
    Physical connections rpi connected via ether net to 5 port switch then switch via ether net cable to controller.

Fpp wlan0 and gateway pings successfully
    DNA server 1 and 2 192.168.15.16 pings successfully

Enable routing between interfaces enabled, channel outputs enabled, outputs 1
    Pinging from the outputs does nothing.
    Testing when directly connected via ether net to controller does nothing.

Starting to think I'll just change to a kulp controller
    //toggle visibility:
    //prevent page refresh:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Hey
    So. My settings are
    Fpp on RPi 3b+ ver. 4.6.1
    192.168.15.x is my home network
    192.268.2.x is my show network

No separate show router at this stage as I am trying to get it all to function first
    Rpi etho: 192.268.2.0
    Netmask 255.255.255.0
    Gateway blank

Rpi wlan: 192.168.15.20
    Netmask: 192.168.25.16 same as home network

SanDevices E680: 169.254.74.73 when connected directly computer to ether net cable to controller as per manual
    Controller ip then changed to
    SanDevices 680: ip 192.168.2.50
    Subnet 255.255.255.0
    Gateway 192.168. 2.0 same as Fpp eth0 address
    Physical connections rpi connected via ether net to 5 port switch then switch via ether net cable to controller.

Fpp wlan0 and gateway pings successfully
    DNA server 1 and 2 192.168.15.16 pings successfully

Enable routing between interfaces enabled, channel outputs enabled, outputs 1
    Pinging from the outputs does nothing.
    Testing when directly connected via ether net to controller does nothing.

Starting to think I'll just change to a kulp controller
    I think some of your network settings are incorrect. Typically, network addresses ending in 0 or 255 are reserved. I'd change your 0 endings to 1. Secondly, RPi wlan mask should be 255.255.255.0 Finally, there should be no gateways on the wired part of the show network.
    Ed
    Happily retired