Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Error when attemtping to flash ESPixelStick V3

Post Thanks / Like

Default Error when attemtping to flash ESPixelStick V3

I am using Linux mint 19
    When I attempt to program the device I get the following two errors (on both of the newly arrived drivers):

File "/media/m/Data/Documents/PiLightShow/ESPixelStick_Firmware-3.2/bin/esptool/esptool.py", line 483, in connect
    raise FatalError('Failed to connect to %s: %s' % (self.CHIP_NAME, last_error))
    esptool.FatalError: Failed to connect to Espressif device: Timed out waiting for packet header
    Done

Possible internet solutions involve pressing the reset button while flashing (doesn't work), soldering a capacitor between pins. Is there something I am missing or need to address? I cannot find a solution.

Screenshot from 2021-10-22 17-47-06.png

Thanks
    Last edited by dbsmokey; 10-22-2021 at 06:48 PM. Reason: add screenshot

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Error when attemtping to flash ESPixelStick V3

Quote Originally Posted by dbsmokey View Post
    I am using Linux mint 19
    When I attempt to program the device I get the following two errors (on both of the newly arrived drivers):

File "/media/m/Data/Documents/PiLightShow/ESPixelStick_Firmware-3.2/bin/esptool/esptool.py", line 483, in connect
    raise FatalError('Failed to connect to %s: %s' % (self.CHIP_NAME, last_error))
    esptool.FatalError: Failed to connect to Espressif device: Timed out waiting for packet header
    Done

Possible internet solutions involve pressing the reset button while flashing (doesn't work), soldering a capacitor between pins. Is there something I am missing or need to address? I cannot find a solution.

Screenshot from 2021-10-22 17-47-06.png

Thanks
    Do you see anything in the serial output window when you manually reset it? Do you have write access to the serial port?
    forkineye.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sporadic View Post
    Do you see anything in the serial output window when you manually reset it? Do you have write access to the serial port?
    output of sudo ls -ltr /dev/ttyUSB0 (I ran sudo chmod 777 /dev/ttyUSB0 and attempted to reflash without success) :Screenshot from 2021-10-23 00-38-35.png

output of sudo dmesg | grep -i ch34: Screenshot from 2021-10-23 00-42-08.png

output window of device 1 when reset is pressed: Screenshot from 2021-10-23 00-31-19.png

output window of device 2 when reset is pressed: Screenshot from 2021-10-23 00-29-15.png

output of groups m (my username): Screenshot from 2021-10-23 00-58-42.png

I will note I am running the jre file as root: sudo java -jar ESPSFlashTool.jar

Is it possible my micro usb data cable is bad?

Thanks
    Last edited by dbsmokey; 10-23-2021 at 02:00 AM. Reason: add clarification of group dialout access

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm.. The permissions on /tty/USB0 were probably 770 and you're a member of the dialout group, so it should've worked. You're receiving data from the ESP chip as well so it's unlikely a bad USB cable. You shouldn't have to be running running it with sudo though since you have write permissions to the serial port. Have you tried running it without sudo? I used Ubuntu for testing, but will install a Linux Mint 19 VM and see if there are any issues. It won't be until later today though.
    forkineye.com

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I have tried both running sudo and as user m with the same result. The original permissions were 660 (rw-rw----) for ttyUSB0, but I just wanted to double check. Of course, the permissions revert back to 660 once the unit is unmounted.

Just in case, here is the output of uname -a :

Linux m 5.4.0-89-generic #100~18.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Wed Sep 29 10:59:42 UTC 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

and lsb_release -a:
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID: LinuxMint
    Description: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
    Release: 19.3
    Codename: tricia

I will tinker with it a bit more today as well. Thank you for your help!

mn
    Last edited by dbsmokey; 10-23-2021 at 09:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have installed an ubuntu 18 VM. If I can figure out how to get usb working in Virtualbox, I will try to flash the device in ubuntu. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I was successful in having the Ubuntu VM recoginze the serial port. However, when I run the jar installation file, the serial port is recognized by the flash tool, but the error this time is: Screenshot from 2021-10-24 10-03-24.png

Additionally, when I press the reset button, no message is displayed. I think it might be the usb cable. I have ordered one from Amazon and it should arrive today. Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

I was getting the exact same error with win 7 . I had to go to Win 10 before successfully loading the firmware.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angus40 View Post
    I was getting the exact same error with win 7 . I had to go to Win 10 before successfully loading the firmware.
    Thank you. In that case, I don't know what I will do, because I don't have a copy of Windows and haven't since 2007. I am hoping the issue is the cable.

Post Thanks / Like

I think your post will give Shelby a clue as to where to look at the issue in the tool . I have doubt it being a cable issue .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast