Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Display out of sync

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Display out of sync

I was able to disable the 2.4g network on my ISP router. I Tried to disable both but it won't let me have none. I figured the 5G would be less likely to interfere so left that one as the active. I did wrap some foil around it, though it has venting on both sides so didn't cover the sides but left the excess unfolded so it it like an umbrella so to say.

I updated the interval to 50ms.

I installed PuTTY and tried but get the error: connection refused. It didn't time out and makes me think by refusing maybe it is capable but I need to figure out how to properly connect? I used default port 22 but maybe it should be a different port?

I checked every page of the router config, nothing about SSH. I do have Remote Administration, but this provides a URL:PORT for access. I tried this port # in PuTTY unsuccessfully.

My router has an option to run in AP Mode. Currently it is setup as normal router with DHCP. I am unsure if setting AP Mode to on will improve anything or not? Just want to be sure when I say router and someone says AP that at least in this context are talking the same thing and not that the impression is the router is already in AP Mode.

Post Thanks / Like

the 5G network won't have any impact on your show. That's a completely different frequency range.

Connection refused usually means that SSH isn't enabled on the device. It may need to be enabled via the web GUI. Port 22 is correct. It can also mean that the firewall is simply blocking that port and there may be no SSH service behind it.

What most home users call a router is actually an all-in-one device that contains a router, a firewall, a DHCP server, an AP, and a switch. These are also sometimes called a gateway.

AP mode won't affect the wireless performance. It just changes whether the device has the routing and other 'router type functionality' enabled. (like DHCP and such). In other words, that setting tells the device whether it's just a simple AP, or if it does all of those tasks. Since we're troubleshooting the wifi performance, we're only concerned with the AP functionality of the router. So we might call it an AP, because we're just talking about that part of the router's function. But that functionality is active in both modes. It sounds like you're probably using the DHCP part of the router for IP addresses, so you likely want to keep it in router mode. Again, this setting isn't related to the lag issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    What most home users call a router is actually an all-in-one device that contains a router, a firewall, a DHCP server, an AP, and a switch. These are also sometimes called a gateway.

AP mode won't affect the wireless performance. It just changes whether the device has the routing and other 'router type functionality' enabled. (like DHCP and such). In other words, that setting tells the device whether it's just a simple AP, or if it does all of those tasks. Since we're troubleshooting the wifi performance, we're only concerned with the AP functionality of the router. So we might call it an AP, because we're just talking about that part of the router's function. But that functionality is active in both modes. It sounds like you're probably using the DHCP part of the router for IP addresses, so you likely want to keep it in router mode. Again, this setting isn't related to the lag issue.
    I understand, just wanted to be sure. Seeing that setting in the router made me second guess myself.

I've done a few things since last post.

-I deleted the controller in Vixen and then created/patched the elements. No change with issue.

-I updated the router to the latest firmware. No change with issue but now shows devices by host name so there is some positive.

-Updated OS, included optional updates for drivers & bios. No Change with issue.

At this point I took the original controller downstairs to the original PC. Connected it to a different prop also using strips with same pixel count. Brought down the router and connected to the original PC. Opened Vixen, loaded sequence and successfully ran without lag. Went upstairs, plugged in the arches running off the cloned controller. Had the wife watch and yell down when the lights came on and each time there was no delay at all. Took the router back upstairs and tried on the new PC and the lag was there. Brought back down to original PC, no lag, back to new PC and lag.

Disabled all controllers again and started turning on one at a time and checked for lag. The 4th and 5th controllers I enabled at the same time and got lag at this point. I don't think two at once had anything to do with it but still kicking myself for rushing it.

It was getting dark so I reset everything and started the ambient show.

Post Thanks / Like

The issue you're describing is almost definitely caused by packet queueing at the AP of the router. It has nothing to do with the player or the PC that's playing it. Provided of course that the pc is connected via a wired lan connection to the router. The difference between the new and old PC more likely has to do with the actual physical location than the PC. You probably have a significantly different wireless landscape in the two locations.

The reason you're seeing the lag as you enable more controllers is because you're sending more data and you get to a point where the AP can't pump it all out in time at it's current data rate. The data rate is automatically set by the router for the current wireless conditions. If any device with a power save flag device is associated with the AP (most battery powered devices) it will immediately derate to 1mbps. Otherwise, it's supposed to set to the lowest rate of all the currently connected clients. Hopefully you can keep that in the 24mbps or greater range. That's how it's supposed to work. The actual implementation will vary by router. Multicast is something of a bastard child in the firmware of home routers. If you're seeing lag in the range of about 10-12 universes, then you can be certain that your AP is clamping the rate to 1mbps for one reason or another.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I am pretty much throwing in the towel for this year. Halloween is my gig and literally half of my display is still sitting in the house waiting to get setup outside. I need to get moving on the static display and worry about the blinky-flashy later. My ambient show is not set to music so lag isn't noticeable and will get me thru this year.

If the router can't handle it and isn't capable of being configured the way I need it to be then there is really no point to continue troubleshooting. It's time to move forward and work towards success for next time.

So, that being said, I have been looking at the Nanostation. There are a few models available, I am not sure which is the best I can go with. So far the ones I have looked at seem to be dedicated AP devices and don't have DHCP capablility? The manuals state something like: "Main/LAN 10/100 Ethernet port used to connect the power and should be connected to the LAN and DHCP server". Am I missing something here or just looking at the wrong ones? Since my router is the issue I want to eliminate it altogether. I am worried if I extend the network with the Nano instead of replacing it the lag from my router will just get passed to the Nano.

Any thoughts on a particular Nano model that will do what I need it to?

Post Thanks / Like

Strictly speaking, you current "router" really isn't your problem. It's just the access point portion of it that's lacking in configurability/functionality. All of the stuff we're talking about adjusting is related to the AP part of the router and not related to the routing and DHCP stuff. So you can just disable the wireless on it and add an external AP.

Yes the nanostations are APs only. If you need DHCP, you have to provide that via a service on another device. You can use your existing router to do just that if you want. Otherwise, there's plenty of other ways to do it. Or you can use static IPs and not worry about DHCP at all.
    The specific nanostation that many of us use is the Nanostation Loco M2. Like a lot of tech, availability appears to be scarce at the moment.
    https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Nano...5091741&sr=8-5
    The non loco version would also work fine, but is overkill and not really necessary.

Post Thanks / Like

Woot! I ordered one and should be here in a few days. I peeked around for configuration write up and found a Wiki @ the diy.org site here. Would this be the recommended procedure to do with the Nano?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrowe View Post
    Woot! I ordered one and should be here in a few days. I peeked around for configuration write up and found a Wiki @ the diy.org site here. Would this be the recommended procedure to do with the Nano?
    Yep. I wrote most of that article based on a lot of real world experience and testing.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, back with an update.

I got the Nanostation and after a few minor struggles was able to get it up and running successfully. The lag seems to be gone and while my eyes may be playing tricks on me, I swear the response time overall has improved too!

I used THIS guide posted by dirknerkle to configure the Nano. Mine has a newer FW than the posts but for the most part the procedure was identical. I also did your SSH trick HERE although it did not stick and wasn't in play when I ran my test runs. Post season I plan on installing the CS firmware and can apply the start up script to address that.

For anyone in similar situation who decides to get the Nano I would recommend when setting it up, right after updating the login credentials go the to system page and disable the reset option. Dirk's post does show it enabled however I found the Nano kept resetting itself back to factory default. I don't know if this is the correct way to do it, but for now with Halloween being tomorrow I don't want to worry about it. I did some quick research and saw some stuff about the drain wire and other nuances others have had with it resetting itself and will re-visit that issue later. Also, don't forget to disable your routers WiFi.

Once again, thank you all for the help and advice and bearing with me! I would have been dead in the water without it but thanks to you I can still get a few days worth of show going! Happy Halloween!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234