Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Display out of sync

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Display out of sync

Apologies for the delayed response, I went to respond last night but my internet went down and of course my ISP took their sweet time fixing it.

Foremost, the problem seems to be resolved although I still want to test some more to be certain.

I was aware of issues with enabled but disconnected controllers. I did make sure the only controllers enabled were the ones that were connected.

I downloaded and tried to install the sACNView program but it wouldn't let me due to some missing libraries. I was able to install in on the original PC though. I did bring the original PC up with the intent to try it but didn't after doing what I explain below.

This is what I did:
    I swapped out the new PC for the original one. Opened Vixen, ran the sequence and everything was in sync.
    Swapped back to the new PC, logged into the router and made sure all ESPixelsticks were online, logged into each and tested effects successfully.
    Opened Vixen and confirmed the only controllers enabled were the ESPixelsticks I just checked.
    Opened the sequence, ran it and the lag occurred.
    Stopped and closed the sequence, opened display settings and disabled all controllers. Closed display settings, used File->shutdown and exit command. (Not the window X close)
    Opened Vixen, enabled one controller. Opened and ran sequence without lag. Closed sequence, enabled next controller, opened and ran sequence successfully. Kept that pattern until all controllers were enabled and the lag has not occurred.

I honestly can only speculate on what the issue actually was. My guess would be something glitched with either Vixen or the file system when I changed the state of one of the controllers. I'm not familiar enough at that level to have more than a best guess, lol. I have 4 new controllers this year and was constantly turning them on and off. (I use an old PC power supply when making props so I was swapping them out often during build and testing.)

I will keep testing and if I experience any more lag will update here.

A huge THANK YOU to you all! The community and its support is one of the biggest reasons this is all so much fun!

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, back with the update. I thought the issue was resolved but I was wrong.

Everything seemed to be ok at first but partway thru the sequence the lag would start again then it would catch up. Then it would lag again a little bit worse and catch up. The lag always starts with one element, the arches, and then seems to spread to the other elements.

I thought maybe there was something wrong with the controller itself so I took an identical controller with same FW, configured it to match the first and swapped out the controllers. Lag still present. Then I un-patched the controller and re-patched and the lag is still present. Disassembled each arch checking for wiring issues, changed the order they are connected, connected one at a time - a plethora of different physical combinations with no success.

I have no errors or warnings in the logs. If I disable the controller the lag doesn't occur.

I can't explain it, I can't find anything anywhere that even hints at what the issue could be. I thought maybe the fact the arches use strips and the other elements use bullets might explain something but then remembered that my haunt sign and luminary tombstones also use strips and have no issues, though they are on the E682 which is wired and the arches are on wireless ESPixelstick.

I took a short video showing what is happening. I am not running the sequence, just turning the effect on, but the result is the same. You can hear my loud mouse click when I turn them on, then I move to display window showing them on, then to the arches where the lag is visible.

https://youtu.be/ZtgLULccHVQ

It is crazy at work so I may not reply back promptly but promise will do so the second I can!

Post Thanks / Like

Are you using unicast or multicast for the data going to the ESP? It sounds like you are using unicast over WiFi which is a bad idea.

2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/MartinMueller2003

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    Are you using unicast or multicast for the data going to the ESP? It sounds like you are using unicast over WiFi which is a bad idea.
    No, I double checked all of them already, every one is set to Multicast. Vixen Controller is also set to Multicast (Image in OP). The only device I cannot confirm right now is the E682, but I am very confident I also have it set to Multicast.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrowe View Post
    No, I double checked all of them already, every one is set to Multicast. Vixen Controller is also set to Multicast (Image in OP). The only device I cannot confirm right now is the E682, but I am very confident I also have it set to Multicast.
    Can you login to the router and verify there are no other wireless devices associated with it?
    forkineye.com

Post Thanks / Like

review this thread and see if it helps point to the problem. Always triple check addressing..............

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...Or-a-Kev-Issue
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, by the time I was done working last night my show had started and I didn't want to stop or mess with it because people were watching.

-I checked to see what was connected to router: my PC, Pixelsticks and tablet. The E682 is connected but not showing as such. I disabled the tablet. (IMG Attached)

-There is nothing with the patching or addressing that looks off to me. (IMG Attached)

-I do have entries in the logs now:

Application.Error.Log:
    Code:
    10/21/2021 18:39:30.743 [Vixen.Execution.Context.ContextBase] Object reference not set to an instance of an object. System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at Vixen.Execution.Context.SequenceContext._OnStart()
       at Vixen.Execution.Context.ContextBase.Start()    at Vixen.Execution.Context.SequenceContext._OnStart()
       at Vixen.Execution.Context.ContextBase.Start()
    Application.Warn.Log:
    Code:
    10/22/2021 06:53:07.181 [VixenModules.Editor.TimedSequenceEditor.TimedSequenceEditorForm] TimedSequenceEditor: No Timeline.Row is associated with a target ElementNode for this EffectNode. The user has likely chosen not to map it, so we will drop it. 
    10/22/2021 06:53:07.196 [VixenModules.Editor.TimedSequenceEditor.TimedSequenceEditorForm] TimedSequenceEditor: No Timeline.Row is associated with a target ElementNode for this EffectNode. The user has likely chosen not to map it, so we will drop it.
    Patching.jpg
    ESPS7_config.JPG
    ESPS7_config2.JPG
    ChannelCounts.jpg
    Router Conns.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I have more images but only 5 allowed per post.

Router Config 01.jpg
    ESPSBar-Home.jpg
    ESPSBar-Network.JPG
    ESPSBar-Device.JPG

I don't see anything off myself, but maybe someone else will spot something I am overlooking.
    I did realize after screen capturing the Pixelstick that the zigzag is set to 30. This is an artifact left over from swapping out the controller and should not be set for this prop, but I don't think it should be related to my issue and is not set in the original controller.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ScareCrowe View Post
    Sorry, by the time I was done working last night my show had started and I didn't want to stop or mess with it because people were watching.

-I checked to see what was connected to router: my PC, Pixelsticks and tablet. The E682 is connected but not showing as such. I disabled the tablet. (IMG Attached)
    That tablet will kill your multicast rate. Portable devices (tablets, phones, laptops, other ESP's not running ESPixelStick, etc...) will trigger a power saving flag in the wifi stack which adversely affects your multicast rates. After removing the tablet (remove the AP from the tablet), power down all other associated devices and reboot the access point.
    forkineye.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sporadic View Post
    That tablet will kill your multicast rate. Portable devices (tablets, phones, laptops, other ESP's not running ESPixelStick, etc...) will trigger a power saving flag in the wifi stack which adversely affects your multicast rates. After removing the tablet (remove the AP from the tablet), power down all other associated devices and reboot the access point.
    Just to note, I connected with the tablet to help troubleshoot from outside. The lag was present before the tablet but I do understand what you are saying.

OK, here are the actions taken, in order:

-I disconnected the tablet, cleared the settings from it.
    -Confirmed in router no longer connected.
    -Powered down all wireless devices and all wired devices.
    -Confirmed in router sole connection was the PC. (E682 doesn't show but confirmed not connected by attempting to load in browser)
    -Powered off PC and then unplugged router.
    -Waited a few minutes, powered up router.
    -Once router was 'online' powered up PC.
    -Confirmed no devices attached to network.
    -Powered up wireless devices one at a time, approx 10-15 seconds apart.
    -Powered up wired devices.
    -Logged into Arches Pixelstick, confirmed no delay when using effects. Set effects to disabled.
    -Opened Vixen, enabled the controller.
    -Opened Sequence, waited for 'Rendering Effects' notification to complete.
    -Selected an effect for the Arches, clicked the Effect to ON.
    -Lag is still present but is roughly 4 seconds now instead of 9ish.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast