Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Master/remote setup

Post Thanks / Like

Default Master/remote setup

Hi we have several F16's and an F4 running one show.
    We were running the show from a central computer through a dedicated network.
    We are not converting the show to a master / remote setup using Pis at each controller.

How is the master most typically set up?
    Is it a dedicated Pi? Can it be a central computer?
    What do you guys do for larger (multi controller) shows?

Thanks
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Master/remote setup

If you were running the show using a single PC to send E1.31 data to all of the controllers then you can replace the PC show player with an FPP based show player without modifying anything else in the show.

If you are planning to change the network or significantly expand the show then you might want to add fpp remotes. The real advantage to using remotes is to reduce overall network congestion. If your network is not congested then dont bother with remotes.

2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/MartinMueller2003

Post Thanks / Like

We are planning to expand so we do think taking the show data off the network and using remotes is the way to go.
    We had been using the Vixen Scheduler to broadcast the show to the controllers.

I'm rather new to this, but I'm not aware of how I can use my PC as a FPP master. How do I do that?

Post Thanks / Like

After a bit of poking around I confirmed that FPP can only be run on PI's and the like.
    So circling back to my main question...

For shows with multiple PI's connected to controllers, how are FPP Masters most commonly set up?
    Is it on a dedicated Pi (not connected to a controller)?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

FPP runs on a PI or BBB. It replaces the PC. A single PI can drive in excess of 50,000 pixels. I have seen some people claim 100,000 pixels driven by a single PI. The limitation is network bandwidth. In my show I have a master PI that sends data to two F16s. PI two drives my renard devices. PI three drives my Megatree and my mid trees F16. PI four drives my Front tree and arches F16. PI 5 has a PI hat and drives my tune to sign. All but the tune to sign are on a wired network. Tune to does not need tight timing so it is connected over WiFi.

2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.

Post Thanks / Like

For us, one RPi running FPP is the leader (master) and the others are put in the remote mode.
    In our case, the master is used as the audio player and it also sends out the sync signals to all the remotes.

You were toying with the idea of using a PC to run your show. If this is your desire, check into xSchedule. It can be setup to be either a remote or master.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome. So your master PI is just used for mastering... It's not also connected to a controller? (MartinMueller2003)

That is interesting algerdes. We use Xlights / xSchedule in another installation. I didn't realize it had that capability.
    Last edited by spaulgal; 10-13-2021 at 09:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about MartinMueller2003, but along with providing audio to the transmitter, we have had the master feed all the "local" controllers (E1.31) and at the same time send sync packets to controllers away from the main area. (We shoot a signal across a lake via wireless, making the remote units a necessity.) It works great!
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spaulgal View Post
    Awesome. So your master PI is just used for mastering... It's not also connected to a controller? (MartinMueller2003)

That is interesting algerdes. We use Xlights / xSchedule in another installation. I didn't realize it had that capability.
    my master sends data to two f16s. the master also has a dac+ pro hat for audio.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent example, MartinMueller2003.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast