Thread: Anyone use touchscreen and stylus for sequencing?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone use touchscreen and stylus for sequencing?

I just got the idea of using a touchscreen and stylus for sequencing AC lights. I think it would be much faster than using a mouse since you are basically dragging to use effects. I don't have the hardware to try this so has anyone done this? Is it easier or faster than a mouse?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Anyone use touchscreen and stylus for sequencing?

Touch screen, mouse, touch-pad all have one thing in common. They relay a point to the computer as to where the cursor should be. How the program uses the data is identical.

I can see where someone using a touchscreen and stylus may be faster, for some movements and therefore some actions. Drag and drop may not be any faster (for those that are very good with mouse movements), but touch and drop (or double touch as some call it) would definitely be. Then again, the size of the screen you are using plays a part as well. How far do you have to move to do any of these items. (A large screen actually becomes a minus due to the distance you have to physically cover.)

I'm trying to test your idea, but I'm not seeing any improvement and some slow down. Mainly because of my inexperience using the stylus. It works, but ...
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been thinking about this since I used vixen 2.1 about 10 years ago coinciding with my first touch phone. What I envisioned is using the preview to draw effects on the screen. Of course pixels came along and complicated that.

I am so used to using a mouse that I can't really see using a stylus to draw on a grid. Seems like 6 of one and half dozen of the other.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Randomaker View Post
    I don't have the hardware to try this so has anyone done this? Is it easier or faster than a mouse?
    I have sequenced on a Surface Pro for four years now. The issue isnít the pen or stylusóitís the screen and resolution. The Surface I use has a default resolution of 2764x1824 on a 12-ish inch screen, so seeing the elements in sequencing software is difficult. I plug the Surface into a large monitor so I can see what Iím doing, which sort of defeats the touchscreen use. And I use a USB keyboard and mouse when in that configuration.