Thread: Falling snow from live tree to ground

Post Thanks / Like

Default Falling snow from live tree to ground

Hi,

I'm new to this sport, and there is a lot of information on this forum. I want to start out simple this year and just have a falling snow effect from a large tree to the ground and I know this has been done a million times, but I'm having a tough time figuring out best way to do it. If someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Falling snow from live tree to ground

heres a palce to get started
    Ray is a familar to most folks here

check this out HERE
    all pix <70 univ)

Post Thanks / Like

Ray can make them as long as you want.... in most cases... Ive got some that are 120cm.
    just ask him... hes pretty nice.. very busy and VERY hard to get a hold of. but once you do.. hes pretty nice
    all pix <70 univ)

Post Thanks / Like

So by 'tree' do you mean some strings of pixels in a 'cone' shape? It's up you how many strings you use, plus how many pixels are in each string. In my case I only built half a tree since I only see one side. Pixels come in 50s normally, spaced at up to about 8cm. Depending on the controller you use you may want to split into groups of 170 (= 1 universe). In my case I have 10 strings of 34 pixels = 2 universes of 170 pixels. That's a relatively small tree compared to some on this forum:
    https://youtu.be/hqaQvYU4ilQ

As for the 'falling snow' effect, that's down to the software - it just treats the tree as a 'screen' and 'knows' where all the pixels are. I believe both Vixen and Xlights support this kind of effect.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RichieNorthcott View Post
    So by 'tree' do you mean some strings of pixels in a 'cone' shape? It's up you how many strings you use, plus how many pixels are in each string. In my case I only built half a tree since I only see one side. Pixels come in 50s normally, spaced at up to about 8cm. Depending on the controller you use you may want to split into groups of 170 (= 1 universe). In my case I have 10 strings of 34 pixels = 2 universes of 170 pixels. That's a relatively small tree compared to some on this forum:
    https://youtu.be/hqaQvYU4ilQ

As for the 'falling snow' effect, that's down to the software - it just treats the tree as a 'screen' and 'knows' where all the pixels are. I believe both Vixen and Xlights support this kind of effect.
    May I ask why you align your string length to the capacity of a "universe"? Most modern controllers will bury the transport mechanism (where universes live) and simply convert the data that arrives into a pool of channels. Even the PixelSticks separate the data on the output from the concept of a universe and just output channels to a port. And newer transport mechanisms like DDP do not even have the concept of a universe. They just have blocks of channels.

2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/MartinMueller2003

Post Thanks / Like

My impression was this isn't a pixel application at all. These would be string lights of snowflakes, with probably cold whites on them and some way to individually control them (could be pixels...). I have some solar-powered snowflakes which work with a positive/negative square wave generator, and each neighboring snowflake's LED is reverse-biased with respect to each other. When the square wave goes negative, half the snowflakes light up. When it goes positive, the other half light up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    May I ask why you align your string length to the capacity of a "universe"? Most modern controllers will bury the transport mechanism (where universes live) and simply convert the data that arrives into a pool of channels. Even the PixelSticks separate the data on the output from the concept of a universe and just output channels to a port. And newer transport mechanisms like DDP do not even have the concept of a universe. They just have blocks of channels.
    You may - purely based on my own DIY controllers I guess, but yes a commercial one may well take that limitation away. In which case multiples of 50 is probably a good way to go for minimum fuss.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply. No, I meant a live tree. I looked at the snow tubes, but wasn't sure if that was what I wanted, or if I hung strips from the branches to the ground.

Post Thanks / Like

So I wanted the effect like they show for the snow tubes, hanging from a live tree, to give the effect of snow falling.

Post Thanks / Like

sound like you want controllable pixel like lights. Depending on size of tree, you can get something like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/ALITOVE-Diffu...4180628&sr=8-7

Hang them 13 feet above the ground and you will have tree to ground to build a long meteor style display. The above would be 10 strands. Is that enough to get started? Maybe a few strands hung a bit higher. Then you will need a controller and power supply. One way to go would be a rPi and hat (easily handle the 500 pixels) but a 16 channel controller would make your first year easier. If you can find one, then you will need a player so still get a rPi and load FPP on it. Then you just need some jumper cables from the controller to the where ever your strings are going to live. A case of some sort for your controller, power and rPi and you are set. Piece of cake but order stuff now.

And order the correct connector on your cables that will match the strings. The strings I linked (no experience with them nor any affiliation btw) use 3-pin JST connectors. So buy some jst connectors and cable to make up exactly what you need. I would cut off the jst connectors and use something else but just my preference. I am pretty sure people run with jst connectors.

Edit: either will Vixen or xLights will let you create simple or complex chases to simulate snow falling and both output to FPP.