Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Type of pixels to outline lawn and other areas of property

Post Thanks / Like

Default Type of pixels to outline lawn and other areas of property

Hi, I am looking to outline my lawn this year and looking for ideas on what type of pixels to use. I would like a very uniform look but not sure what to use. Last year I did part of the outline with a few extra strands of Technicolor pixels I had and some C7 covers for them. They looked pretty good but wondering if anyone has used/seen any type of pixel that would work better as I wanted to try and place an order this week with Ray. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Type of pixels to outline lawn and other areas of property

I've seen people use 12mm pixels with strips to hold them in a nice line, Pixabulb style for a slightly more "sparkly" look, and, as you pointed out, some have used specific covers, such as ones that people have printed out out via a 3D printer.

Post Thanks / Like

I go with cheap monochromes for the property outline--incandescents, actually, and I just SSR them. Interlopers are likely first to stumble on the lights on the border, so I want those to be the cheap ones.

Post Thanks / Like

I put some DIY pixel-rope light on either side of my sidewalk and finally got it light this eve. I am thinking on bordering my gardens ,windows and roof lines with it also . These don't seem to get overly bright at 4" spacing .

Here is a little clip.

Post Thanks / Like

Please explain what you mean by "DIY pixel-rope light".
    Did you insert pixels into a tube? Were these WS281x lights already in a tube?
    Very interested.

BTW - the lights in the video are a bit dim, but actually exciting in that they may be manipulated to come up about 20% which would put them in the range of a 25-30% level of brightness set at the controller. Interesting.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

re:algerdes.

Look up another active thread on here angus40 has about SK6812 lights.

It seems pretty easy to just use your weedeater/edger to edge a trench along the sidewalk and then bury a rope light in that. It would make the rope conform to the edge all the way down.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algerdes View Post
    Please explain what you mean by "DIY pixel-rope light".
    Did you insert pixels into a tube? Were these WS281x lights already in a tube?
    Very interested.

BTW - the lights in the video are a bit dim, but actually exciting in that they may be manipulated to come up about 20% which would put them in the range of a 25-30% level of brightness set at the controller. Interesting.
    Yes, I inserted them in 5/16 ID vinyl tubing . The only way to increase brightness is to shorten the distance between pixels .
    I attached the pixel-rope light to this with clear zip ties.
    Also , I cut the garden edging in 1/2 height wise which made it easier to install against the sidewalk edge.
    Used a square flat edging shovel to open a valley to insert the garden edging as it was the least destructive method I could think of .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1pet2_9 View Post
    re:algerdes.

Look up another active thread on here angus40 has about SK6812 lights.

It seems pretty easy to just use your weedeater/edger to edge a trench along the sidewalk and then bury a rope light in that. It would make the rope conform to the edge all the way down.
    I know we are into the halloween mode for displays , but this is the first I have heard of burying lights . lol .

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks.
    There is another thread going around on one of the sites where they were inserting pixels into a clear tube. It was pretty labor intensive, but once done it looked good. They also had some "brightness" issues.

On a recent trip to Tennessee there was a Christmas Shoppe that had some really nice RGB controlled lights inside of tubes that appeared like neon. What I wouldn't give to be able to afford something like that. Great stuff. But, until the wallet can withstand the pre-made stuff - I'll have to do the DIY route.
    Last edited by algerdes; 10-08-2021 at 06:05 PM.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algerdes View Post
    Thanks.
    There is another thread going around on one of the sites where they were inserting pixels into a clear tube. It was pretty labor intensive, but once done it looked good. They also had some "brightness" issues.

On a recent trip to Tennessee there was a Christmas Shoppe that had some really nice RGB controlled lights inside of tubes that appeared like neon. What I wouldn't give to be able to afford something like that. Great stuff. But, until the wallet can withstand the pre-made stuff - I'll have to do the DIY route.
    These particular pixels have near the equivalent brightness of an F5 strawhat but a unpackaged 4020 in shape .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast