Thread: picap set up

Post Thanks / Like

Default picap set up

hi everyone.
    I just got my picap for my raspberry pi and i want to make sure i don't fry something
    So leave all 3 jumpers in place if i want to use a 12 volt power supply and to power the pi also
    also on the DMX /LOR side jumpers that is only for if i plug a Ethernet cord into the port on it?

Don't normally these things come with a battery? mine didn't so had to order some from amazon they came today would like to play around with this thing and see if i can get it working.
    FB @ langleylights

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: picap set up

Is this the Falcon version? A couple different people have made PiCaps. If it is the Falcon one, you can check out the Unofficial Manual
    https://RudolphSearch.com - Making it easier to find info across the Christmas Light forums!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, if you use DMX the FPP settings are:

Output type is DMX-Open
    Output Config Port is ttyAMA0

I recently had to look around for them the documentation didn’t make them obvious.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Is this the Falcon version? A couple different people have made PiCaps. If it is the Falcon one, you can check out the Unofficial Manual
    I ordered it from https://www.pixelcontroller.com/store/

Thanks for that link. that is the best picture i have seen yet.
    guess to be safe will just take off the 1st jumper and just power both units.
    then i will leave 12 34 pin jumpers in place cause i will be using a 12 volt power supply, i have 12 volt pixels.

I don't plan to use the RJ-45 port i don't guess. I will be able to use my regular USB 485 plugged into the raspberry pi for my LOR controllers?
    or will i have to use the RJ-45 to plug the Ethernet into for the other controllers?
    FB @ langleylights

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabybear View Post

Output type is DMX-Open

I recently had to look around for them the documentation didn’t make them obvious.
    All of this stuff still confuses me a little. if i have to use the RJ-45 poer it will be ran to my two LOR CBT16 boxes so i would need it on the LOR setting correct?
    FB @ langleylights

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabybear View Post

Output type is DMX-Open

I recently had to look around for them the documentation didnít make them obvious.
    This will not work. ttyAMA0 is the internal fake output. Your serial output is going to be USBSomethingOrOther.

2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/MartinMueller2003