Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: pumpkin patch

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: pumpkin patch

I made some wireless pumpkins that would do the job, although they'd be a bit expensive -- each pumpkin has its own usb 5vdc rechargeable power bank, a D1-Mini (ESP wireless receiver) and a couple pixels, so about $15 per pumpkin.... But they would give you total control of each pumpkin and could run off your home wireless network... until visitors walked off with them because they'd be pretty cool...

Last edited by dirknerkle; 09-24-2021 at 08:54 PM.

http://digwdf.org/store/
    Even though the DIGWDF Store has been closed for almost three years, it's still awesome!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

I took a look at my setup today to refresh my memory on what I've got. I've got a ESPixelStick powered by a small 120V AC to 12V DC converter. I don't remember what the amp rating is on the converter but it's enough for my setup. Both of those are in a CG-500 case. Then, I've got 10 smart bullet pixels stuffed into a pumpkin plate holder. It's a plate specifically for holding carved pumpkins. Unfortunately, I don't remember where I got it. Then, I've got the foam, carved pumpkin on the pumpkin stand. Like I mentioned before, can't really do much more than change the colors and do a flicker or twinkle effect. I run 3 pumpkins like this on my front porch. If you want to run more, then it's just a matter of scaling up the power supply. The ESPixelStick is good for like up to 680 pixels. At 10 pixels per pumpkin, that's 68 pumpkins! So, the ESPixelStick could handle 68 pumpkins, but not the power supply I'm using! Hope this helps. I have pics I'd like to share but I can't seem to figure out how to post them. I keep getting upload failed messages.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    I made some wireless pumpkins that would do the job, although they'd be a bit expensive -- each pumpkin has its own usb 5vdc rechargeable power bank, a D1-Mini (ESP wireless receiver) and a couple pixels, so about $15 per pumpkin.... But they would give you total control of each pumpkin and could run off your home wireless network... until visitors walked off with them because they'd be pretty cool...

How many pixels did you use per pumpkin?
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

ESPixelstick V4 increases the ESP8266 pixel count to 800

2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/MartinMueller2003

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by P. Short View Post
    How many pixels did you use per pumpkin?
    Two of the square pixels, Phil. Here's a photo of the basic "guts" of one of the pumpkins. I used some coro and double-stick foam tape to fashion a mount for the controller and the two pixels and cut up a plastic gallon plastic milk carton to make a diffuser for the pixels because I cut the eyes and mouth out of the plastic pumpkin. I used a DIGWDF MiWiFi controller (as it's dirt simple and cheap to make) but since my store has been closed for almost 3 years, I'd suggest using a D1 Mini. It's got everyone one would need and they're cheap, too. Most expensive part was the USB rechargeable battery bank, but I picked those up on sale at MicroCenter for about $5 apiece. They run for about 4-5 hours, which is all I needed to handle Halloween.

20210924_222709.jpg
    Last edited by dirknerkle; 09-24-2021 at 11:41 PM.

http://digwdf.org/store/
    Even though the DIGWDF Store has been closed for almost three years, it's still awesome!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post

Hey!! I use that song in my Halloween display too!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12