Thread: Help with Boscoyo Ice Queen Snowflake

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help with Boscoyo Ice Queen Snowflake

I'm new to the non-basic Christmas lighting arena and would like some advice on wiring the Boscoyo Ice Queen Snowflake.
    Specifically, I need help with power injection as this is a 500 pixel prop.

How should the injection be split up considering I'm using 5v pixels?
    Can I use just one power output on the controller and branch to each injection point, or should I use multiple power outputs?

I'm really new to all of this so please keep that in mind...thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help with Boscoyo Ice Queen Snowflake

I too use 5V pixels. I would just use one output to run the data to the prop, and also have a power distribution board powered by the same Power Supply as the controller if possible. I would Power Inject at pixels 100,200,300,400, and the last pixel. Others will suggest just running the Data and V- from the controller and PI at 50,150,250,350,450. Of course if you are using a 2nd PS, then you need to separate the V+ lines, but make sure your V- is connected.

HTH
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2019 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2020 - Emergency Conversion to Falcon F48 with limited wireless

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice.
    I think what I'm really trying to determine is how many pixels can/should I connect to each fused power output?
    I'm trying to keep the number of wires to a minimum.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozone777 View Post
    Thanks for the advice.
    I think what I'm really trying to determine is how many pixels can/should I connect to each fused power output?
    I'm trying to keep the number of wires to a minimum.
    You can drive data for up to 680 pixels on MOST controller outputs. The number of pixels you can power will change with a lot of different variables, AWG, brightness, distance from the PS are a few of the major ones. The "Rule of Thumb" for 5V pixels at 100% brightness is about 50 pixels. Most of us lower the brightness considerably (I use 30% brightness on direct view pixels) which will let you power longer strings. I still Power Inject (PI) for every 50 pixels (keep in mind power flows both ways from a PI point so that means PI every 100 pixels) but I have a tendency to over-engineer props.

If you want to go with longer runs, put your controller at a realistic distance from the 1st pixel, set the brightness for what you plan to use, and put a couple of strings together to test where White starts to turn Pink. That will be the maximum number of pixels you can drive from a single output.

HTH
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2019 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2020 - Emergency Conversion to Falcon F48 with limited wireless

Post Thanks / Like

Great information...thank you.