Thread: Wemos ADC Operation

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wemos ADC Operation

I'm under the impression that, like most microcontrollers with ADCs, the ESP CPU writes to a hardware register to start an ADC conversion. The ADC conversion finishes some time later, and the 8266 system function system_adc_read blocks during this time interval. I've read somewhere that them maximum conversion rate is on the order of 100 Kps, which would put the system dead-time of about 10uS while the conversion is in progress. How accurate is this understanding? Is there some way for an application (sketch/library) to return immediately after starting the conversion and be interrupted later when the result is available (other than by using a timer interrupt)?
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Wemos ADC Operation

I found this for Arduino (looks like a Mega to me):

void setup(){
    Serial.begin(115200);
    adcAttachPin(35);
    adcAttachPin(25);
    }

void loop(){
    //start 1 pin for each ADC bus
    adcStart(35);
    adcStart(25);
    //you can check adcBusy(pin), but adcEnd will wait anyway
    uint16_t a0 = adcEnd(35);
    uint16_t a1 = adcEnd(25);
    Serial.printf("ADC: %u, %u\n", a0, a1);
    }

But I cannot vouch for how that works exactly with Wemos.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I'll try that out.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Something seems to be wrong or missing - those three adc functions are all marked as 'not found in this scope' when compiling with the Arduino IDE. They are mentioned lots of times on the web in the context of the ESP32, but the first few google pages don't return any hits wrt the 8266. Perhaps I'm missing some include file.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Did you read this page? The syntax is different than you were using. I used this as a reference for one of my projects.

https://docs.espressif.com/projects/...erals/adc.html

2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/MartinMueller2003

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, I don't have the 8266 RTOS development software installed. I do assume, however, that the calls to adc_read are non-blocking, so that would be useful.
    Phil