Thread: Three Raspberry Pi's + PiCaps

Post Thanks / Like

Default Three Raspberry Pi's + PiCaps

Hi! My setup:
    Raspberry Pi 3B + PiCap (setup in FPP as Primary/Master)
    Raspberry Pi Zero + PiCap (setup in FPP as Remote)
    Raspberry Pi Zero + PiCap (setup in FPP as Remote)

All of them are on wifi. I was trying to figure out if I had them setup/configured properly. I can see the 'pings' on the status page in the remote's. I have them all setup as DHCP. In XLights, I set each prop(I have two singing Boscoyo Pumpkins) to one of the RPi Zero controllers. Each RPiZero is going to control one pumpkin. The main Pi3B is going to control lights on 5 front windows(PixaBulb, 50 each window).

I was looking for a good guide on setting up the props/pixabulbs across 3 different controllers(how do I set this up in Xlights? Do I set the controller per prop/item? What about the channels?)

I can provide more info, but was hoping someone had a favorite video or write up I could start going through.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Three Raspberry Pi's + PiCaps

I think you got it. Does it work the way you have it?

Post Thanks / Like

I think my problem is with channels. I thought by going into Xlights, and setting the 'start channel' to just the controller would do it. Now I think I need to have the channels setup in order from controller to controller. Each of the pumpkin models is 250 pixels, so 750 channels. It so happens that my five windows will have 50 Pixabulbs around each, so that is 250 too(another 750 channels). Since I have 3 FPP players, one master/primary and 2 remotes, they all just get the same 'sequence' downloaded to them, right? So I could set it like this:
    Raspberry Pi 3B + PiCap (setup in FPP as Primary/Master) - channels 1-750
    Raspberry Pi Zero + PiCap (setup in FPP as Remote) - channels 751-1500
    Raspberry Pi Zero + PiCap (setup in FPP as Remote) - channels 1501 - 2250

Then make sure each model in the 'layout' has its channels set accordingly. I still don't understand what it means when you pick a controller in the 'start channel' dialog box in Xlights.

Post Thanks / Like

It was my channel setup, and a basic step using XLights. Basically RTFM. Sharing my setup.
    I have 250 pixels connected to one output port on each PiCap. I can add more later, and if/when I do, I would need to update my configs again, but the sequences just need to be rendered again and loaded up(and add any models or pixels to them I want)
    I'll show two of them, but adding a third should be straightforward. First, set it up properly in FPP. See image of 'Pi Pixel Strings' page in my FPP config. I did setup BOTH channels to have 250 pixels(though I am only using the first port for now). That means my first(primary/master) RPI 3B(which will also play my music) has 1500 channels setup.
    Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 8.19.57 AM.jpg
    Then my second Pi(a Pi Zero), also configured both channels for 250 pixels. So that uses 1501-3000. See image.
    Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 8.23.01 AM.jpg
    Then I just used 'discover' in Xlights, and it pulled the controllers in with all settings. I didn't change a single setting. Obviously you need to have them both plugged in and on when you click on the 'discover' button.
    Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 8.24.19 AM.png
    Then for each prop(I have one Boscoyo singing pumpkin connected to the Zero and a couple of strings of PixaBulbs connected to the 'primary'). For the Boscoyo Pumpkin I used the 'controller' selection in the 'start channel' under Layout. See here.
    Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 8.25.46 AM.png
    Then for the two strings of pixabulbs(connected together to one port), I did the same thing as with the pumpkin. I just picked the 'controller' in 'start channel'.
    Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 8.27.39 AM.png

Lastly, I didn't realize that I wasn't clicking the 'save' icon before I loaded up my new sequence via FPP Connect. I discovered this by looking at 'File Manager' under 'Content Setup' in the FPP interface. I saw the timestamp was old. So I thought my config was wrong as I adding things to my sequence when really I just hadn't saved my changes! I also always click 'render' before I save the sequence.

Hope this helps someone!