Thread: Vixen 3.8 previews screens no longer have display elements

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vixen 3.8 previews screens no longer have display elements

Updated to Vixen 3.8 recently and have done some sequencing with everything working just fine. Today, while trying to add a new element, I somehow have managed to lose all of my display elements in all of the preview configuration screens at the same time. (Hope that makes sense) Just to be clear, not one preview configuration screen shows any display elements in it. When I click on the element list on the left side of the preview configuration screen, none of the elements are showing any "properties". I might have messed something up but I'm not sure what I would have done or even where to look at this point as I've never experienced something like this over the past several years sequencing in Vixen 3. Could someone provide me with a direction to check or look at please?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Vixen 3.8 previews screens no longer have display elements

There were not any changes that I could say would cause that. Likely some form of corruption while saving the the configuration.

You can look to the SystemData folder in the profile for backups of the SystemConfig.xml and ModuleStore.xml. There should be 3 backups, but depending on how many changes you may have made since the issue occurred, you may be able to restore a version of them and see if the preview returns. Make a backup of the profile first to ensure you preserve the backups. Then pick a set of them to rename to the main file names. The ModuleConfig.xml is where the preview info is saved, so start with a previous version of that.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Vixen 3.8 previews screens no longer have display elements

Jeff,

Thank you for getting back to me on this so soon. I didn't think it was related to Vixen 3.8 but had just never experienced anything like it. Your suggested possible cause seems like it was most likely the culprit. That said, your suggestion for the backups was not an option for me because of my backup frequency that occurred during troubleshooting this problem today. However, since I made a 2 complete Vixen 3 backup just four days ago on my external hard drives, I was able to delete all the files in the corrupted SystemData folder and copy all the SystemData folder files from the backup files and the preview configurations were back up and running!

While I lost a little work from today, the bottom line again for all of us using any software is BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP....... did I say BACKUP?

Thanks again for the help.