Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 5v SK6812 RGB LED String Christmas Lights 100 count

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 5v SK6812 RGB LED String Christmas Lights 100 count

The star network with the addressed pixels is a path I want to explore. The soldering and self-tubing rigamarole, I think I like someone else exploring for me first.

Post Thanks / Like

There does not seem to be a function on these controllers to re-address them unfortunately .
    Will have to try communicating with the Vendor further.

Post Thanks / Like

Found some more info on them on the adafruit website. They also have a datasheet from the manufacturer. Sounds like they are fixed address. No big deal. I have several projects in mind that they'd be great for.

I have one 200-count string coming from the China Light Store. It will be interesting to see how that works out.

-Craig

Post Thanks / Like

OUCH...Adafruit is charging 3x what I paid for 100 count .

It will be interesting to see how the 200 string is addressed for certain . Please keep us informed of your finding.

It is interesting how these pre made controllers deal with these pixels .
    In the configuration they have # of pixels with a 300 limit then they have # of segments with a min. of 1.

So I am yet to test but I'm thinking that if I join two 100 count strings configured as 100 pixels and 2 segments it should perform as 1 string of 200 pixels .

As a test I connected 100 pixels and set it to 10 pixels with 10 segments and effects worked accordingly .

I can now see how this validates their advertised 2k plus pixel control as it negates dmx/512 channel consideration entirely.

Also, however they are addressing brightness control with these pre made controllers it is superior to WLED as these pixels do get very bright when compared .
    Last edited by angus40; 10-16-2021 at 07:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been looking at something like these since early this year. Got a few sample off Amazon back in March but they weren't available there anymore so ordered a bunch from China. Finally got them wired up to the controllers and noticed a bit of an issue, they don't quite account for the voltage drop when on full white. With the 100 LED strands it's a tad iffy, I also got some 200 count strands and the 2nd half is pretty bad. Suppose I can cut them up and do some finagling or voltage injection to fix the voltage drop.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by piense View Post
    I've been looking at something like these since early this year. Got a few sample off Amazon back in March but they weren't available there anymore so ordered a bunch from China. Finally got them wired up to the controllers and noticed a bit of an issue, they don't quite account for the voltage drop when on full white. With the 100 LED strands it's a tad iffy, I also got some 200 count strands and the 2nd half is pretty bad. Suppose I can cut them up and do some finagling or voltage injection to fix the voltage drop.
    It baffled the heck out of me.. that on a 100ct string..at full white.. on it's included usb controller.. would have even brightness from beginning to end with a 1.2v drop.
    That same string.. placed on a Espixelstick output.. the end of the string turned a dull red and the voltage dropped to 2.5v.

Turns out that the included usb controller is only running at ~30-40% brightness. Determined by comparing two strings.. one on the included string controller and another string on a Espixelstick output dialed down to brightness match the first pixel on the USB controller.

I found that if I injected power at the end of a 100ct string.. the color and brightness to the end would be even and on a 200ct string if I injected at the middle and end it worked fine.

-Craig
    Last edited by Reddy_Kilowatt; 10-30-2021 at 10:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angus40 View Post
    It will be interesting to see how the 200 string is addressed for certain . Please keep us informed of your finding.
    I attached the second half of a 200ct string (there was a splice in the middle) to the end of another 100ct string and it acted the same as a whole 200ct.
    So the second half does run from 101 to 200.

I joined 2- 100ct strings together and pixel 1 and pixel 101 responded to the same address.

If you wanted to run more than 1-200ct string on a single controller output.. There are pixel splitters in the works. Most are hampered by limited chip availability:

1-Renard shop. - programable -one in to 3 outputs. -out of stock.

2- PiZ Cape 6P (v1.0) from BWinter on Tindie - splits two outputs from a Raspberry Pi to six outputs.

3-RobG (tindie?) - 3 variations - one in to 2,4 or 7 outputs. - I Messaged Rob.. has been delayed to next year.

4-Rons Holiday Lights. one in to 8 equal outputs - prototype In development.

5-Charleskerr- Pixel T's - one in to 3 equal outputs using a PIC Microcontroller.
    5-
    -Craig
    Last edited by Reddy_Kilowatt; 11-04-2021 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Added two more boards

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that information Craig. Some very interesting things may just come out of these!
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

These must to be the fastest 3 wire pixels for receiving data . The fact that they are in parallel would reduce any propagation of standard D -in and D-out ..........

These are my favorite pixels yet by far !

Post Thanks / Like

WLED fireworks is just cool on these pixels .

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast