Thread: Solution required

Post Thanks / Like

Default Solution required

I have a few AC led snowflakes that randomly will not dim to fully off .
    I seem to recall there was a solution for this but i cannot find a specific thread .

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Solution required

Look up snubbers.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

I was looking at snubbers and it seemed as they were referencing flicker reduction with the 47k resistor.

Other snubbers I have read about seem to use a resistor and cap in parallel .
    Last edited by angus40; 08-28-2021 at 04:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

"Snubbers" as we use them put enough of a load on the TRIAC to allow them to totally shut down. Some LED strings didn't present enough for the TRIAC to do so.

Not sure what the capacitor was doing for them, but we never added them to our outputs. Just the resistors.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

The capacitor+resistor combination was to reduce noise on the AC line (typically from other channels) that caused flickering. The capacitor would be counter-productive for ensuring that the triacs completely turn off. The other thing that might help is to make sure that the SSRs are completely dry and clean, as moisture and dirt on the board could provide a path for current to flow over the surface of the PCB, bypassing the triacs.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the explanations .
    I am getting the same results with the single channel AC controller ,so I will now be adding
    the snubber to all of the snowflakes .

I did not realize that some AC mini incans were acting like a snubber until I disconnected them.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the explanation. We use a power line filter on the way into the controller to take out the flickering caused by powerline noise/interference. Note that our main AC controllers are Renard SS16 or SS24 units. (Still going strong after 11 years!)
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

LED’s are diodes and diodes have a small amount of capacitance in the reverse direction. TRIAC’s turn off when the current passing through them reaches near zero.

The problem is that the capacitance causes the current to lag a small amount behind the line voltage. The current is still high enough from the previous cycle as the voltage starts to rise from zero and for a short time, there’s power to turn on LED’s at the beginning of a cycle.

The easy solution is to draw a little more current with a parallel resistor to counteract the battery effect of the capacitance.
    A mediocre person tells. A good person explains. A superior person demonstrates. A great person inspires others to see for themselves.

Click here to show/hide my display details ...
    Click here to show/hide DIYC Links ...